Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spoke Toooo Soon

We had been "reaction" free since our hospital visit in October, when we removed everything but 6 fruits, breastmilk, and neocate from my son's diet.

Since they prescribed medicine for delayed gastric emptying, they dismissed my FPIES hunch and told us to start introducing new foods again.

3 days apricots went okay. Although now I think foods need to be trialed more than 3 days...so we actually started apricots again today.

3 days strawberries went okay.

3 days tomatoes went alright...although he was pretty grumpy, but maybe he caught my cold or maybe it was those darn teeth of his coming in.

3 days of green beans...oh wait, we didn't get through 3 days of green beans. Green beans, which he had eaten successfully prior to his hospitalization and extremely restricted diet, now, it seems, make my son sick. Green beans made him lethargic and out of it.

To me this just proves FPIES all over again, because it's normal for reactions to develop with time and exposure. Therefore, in the past, green beans may have given him a bit of a stomach ache, but there was no visible reaction for us to see. Now, we can see him visibly get lethargic and kind of "out of it." If we kept feeding him green beans (which we aren't going to do) he could possibly end up having a reaction as bad as that one in October which was TERRIFYING.

Anyway, I was upset enough about Friday's green beans scare, but Saturday and Sunday were also quite trying.

Saturday my son threw up 5 times. I don't know if it was a reaction, or if he was actually sick, because I couldn't trace it to any particular food, although he could very easily have picked something up off of the floor. My husband insisted on taking him to the ER, I doubted their ability to be of any help, but I agreed because he just looked so awful.

They weren't hepful. I won't even elaborate because that really says it all. We could have taken better care of him at home ourselves.

Aaaanyway, they weren't helpful, but our son kind of snapped out of it and ate breastmilk prior to leaving so we were no longer worried about dehydration since he started keeping stuff down.

On Sunday and Monday he had -horrible- constipation. Like, every bowel movement was accompanied by horrible screams, sometimes for up to 3-5 minutes. We'd lay him on his stomach on the floor and rub his back until he felt better. SO hard to watch him in pain like that. AND, it happend like 5 times in one day.

Ugh. So, today he's been doing better. No screaming, no throwing up. We're back to the original 6 fruits + apricots. Waiting to hear from the GI doctor for a follow up appointment time.






Motherhood is hard. It's exhausting to care about another person this much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 lesson plans due Friday. :(

5 comments:

AlabasterMuslim said...

Wow sister. I can not imagine having to watch my own child going through pain. I guess its part of motherhood, but no matter what I know it hurts. Those doctors you are around seem to be a little too nonchalant about the whole deal, of course i'm not there so only god knows but...second opinion? Third, forth? Praying for you and your son always!!

.::Tuttie::. said...

am making du'as for you and your son. May Allah swt give him complete cure AMEEN.

Stacy K. said...

You're such a good mom.
Its hard now for you to think that things will change, but they will.

Candice said...

That's so hard... I pray they diagnose him with what he really has so he can start getting appropriate treatment... You should get a 2nd opinion; the doctor really doesn't seem to be helpful at all.

Susanne said...

I'm so sorry for your struggle. It's hard to see little ones hurting.