Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Today

I wore hijab to my son's doctors appointment today. That is a breakthrough for me because I am generally apprehensive about wearing hijab in front of people who knew me or are accustomed to me "pre-hijab". If I could live in a land of strangers I'd pick up hijab full time in a heartbeat. It's just this annoying fear of people's reactions that still holds me back a bit.

I'm getting braver day by day. Insha'Allah I keep moving forward with this!


**BTW, his doctor surely noticed, but didn't comment. The three times I've worn hijab in front of people I knew prior, this is what happened, as well. I can only imagine what might be going through their heads, but at least they don't verbalize any of their thoughts. (of course, if their thoughts were pro-hijab, it would be nice to hear them, lol)


I'm t-i-r-e-d. I hope they don't call me to sub tomorrow because I really need to get a marriage license. I also need to ship something I sold on half.com. I keep selling my possessions because I'm moving from a moderately large house to a two bedroom apartment. Since I've never moved before, I've had 22 years to accumulate a looooot of crap. The problem with selling it on the internet, though, is that things don't sell instantly, and in the meantime, you still have to store it all. *sigh* Once we finally have our yard sale (probably late July early August), whatever's not sold either through the sale or internet is getting boxed up for Goodwill.

I can't take clutter.


Ha. If you could see my room as I write this you would be dying laughing. I say I can't take clutter yet the floor in my room is not even visible. This is the work of my 25 year old slob of a sister. As I mentioned previously, she's getting married in October. I hope she cares for her new house better than she cares for our room!

Anyway, I'm rambling because I'm too tired to get up and do the dishes. Maybe just a short nap...

2 comments:

ellen557 said...

Awww good on you! I know what you mean, last year we were going to move to a new city and I planned to start wearing hijab there but we didn't end up moving :(

And woohooo your wedding is soon!!! :D:D:D It really sucks that we're not friends in real life because I'd love to see how you're doing it for some ideas hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki,
Sorry to keep corresponding here. If you'd like to email me, it's meredithethington@gmail.com

I did get an FPIES diagnosis finally for my son. And, I TOTALLY understand why you want one. I did too.

It gives me a lot of piece of mind just to know I was write. ha!!

Good luck on this journey.