Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Redirection

It is no secret that I've been struggling to get back into blogging.  I think the problem was the original purpose of the blog, whether stated or not, was to chronicle the struggles I faced in accepting Islam. The struggle internally, to forgo what I had believed for 21 years, and the struggle externally to come out to those that love me despite their disappoint and shock.  Once the drama died down, there wasn't a great deal to write about.  No more angry confrontations with my parents, telling any remaining friends has been (thankfully) anticlimactic.  It's just been, well, 'boring' from the blog stand point.  Make no mistake, I am so grateful my life is not in such turmoil regarding my personal identity and religious choice at this point in my life, but that does raise concerns for, "where does the blog go from here?"

It seems I tried for a time to make the blog too personal (for example, my last post, and the yearly updates that preceeded it).  This is too high school for my liking.  I had a live journal back in those days, and it was all. about. me. As a 26 year old, it just seems in poor taste. 

I can only write when I'm passionate about something new, am going through an exciting, or devastating, life change.  Am I not passionate about Islam any longer? I am, certainly. I am 100% certain that this is what I believe.  I don't feel like debating or delving into how it differs from my old beliefs, though.  I'm past that.  I also have no interest in debating haram vs. halal. I also feel a bit like a sham writing about religious issues when I still cannot bring myself to wear hijab in front of my parents and I still do not pray as I should.

So where to go from here? I am ashamed to admit, I am a bit passionate about shopping.  It is something I truly enjoy doing.  Finding the perfect gift for someone in my family, the perfect modest dress for myself, the perfect gadget that will make my life so much easier.  Shopping takes money, though, which I do not have a lot of.  Buying too many 'perfect' things, also leads to clutter and over consumption, which I am not okay with.  So recently I've been combining my love of shopping with my hatred of over consumption.  It sounds like an oxymoron, I'll give you that! What has resulted is a much more sustainable and chemical free household, and I am only just getting started.

I am planning on writing blog posts covering things I used to use regularly in my household, that I have now replaced with a reusable and/or chemical free alternative.  Will this bore some of my past followers? Perhaps.  How could I change from blogging about Islam to becoming one of those 'crunchy,' 'natural' people? Easily! Striving to be the best me includes not only my spiritual self but also how I take care of my family and this earth that Allah (swt) gave us.  I do believe it is an act of worship to try and lessen the (negative) environmental impact I am making on the Earth and think many of my readers would agree. 

So all the best to you and I hope you'll stick around.  Please know the blog will NOT be EXCLUSIVELY about sustainable living.  This is not my only passion and other things will creep in from time to time, possibly quite often.  This is just a new 'series' I am toying with and excited to start in the near future. I also have a few un/semi related posts I'd possibly like to get in before then.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

Cool! I'm reading! :)