They took almost a week to get the results back to us (when they had implied two days), but nevertheless, we got results. After an hour of monitoring, 50% of the neocate should have left his stomach. SHOULD have. In reality, only 12% of it did.
Thus, we have a diagnosis...delayed gastric emptying.
So they've prescribed Reglan (which has a blackbox warning and absolutely terrifies me...nervous system problems and such as side effects!) and he started taking it on the 20th. They also gave the go ahead to start trialing new foods since he's now medicated (we were on hold in the food department.)
I just don't understand. If delayed gastric emptying is the WHOLE problem, why has he been eating apples, bananas, pears, peaches, grapes, and prunes for MONTHS with no problems.
I still think there's FPIES involved and am still sticking to fruits for now, and will probably not try oatmeal or sweet potatoes again (or any of his other 'possible' triggers) until he's at least three years old. He's successfully eaten apricots and strawberries while on the medicine...but I kind of assume he would have tolerated them without the medicine as well. I think we might try carrots tomorrow, or maybe cow's milk(scary).
Nobody understands my reluctance. They think "Diagnosis, let's eat!"
I think, "Diagnosis, maybe not encompassing the whole problem, scary, scary medicine, tread with extreme caution!"
BTW...my son started walking right around Christmas and by New Year's was good enough to run around attacking his 9 year old cousin.
He's absolutely adorable toddling around. BUT, he's so hard to keep up with! Look away for a second and boy, oh, boy. In crowds he is remaining strapped in a stroller for as long as I can get away with it.
4 comments:
MashaAllah. Your son is so patient mashaAllah. May Allah swt give him complete cure ameen.
My son also started walking in early december and he terrifies me. He is so quick! mashaAllah.
Reading your post I was gripped with fear and panic and I wish I lived nearby to be of more help. I am keeping you and your son in my duas.
Ugh, the thought of that medicine scares me too. There are a lot of decisions you have to make as a parent that you may not be 100% comfortable with.
You might want to go to askdrsears.com they sometimes have live chat agents on that may be able to recommend some additional resources for your son.
Believe me, I know what you mean about keeping him in a stroller. Layla still runs away in crowds, so I am forced to use one of those leash things or tie a scarf to her if she refuses to listen :-) She just has no fear of strangers AT ALL!
At the doctors where my little SIL goes to, they have a poster up on the wall, and it is about something being wrong with a baby's stomach...about mentioning this illness to a doctor because they may not realize that 'this' is the illness. As soon as I remember/find out what the illness is I will let you know just so you can research, but I think it might have been FPIES like you said.
I understand that you are worried about giving your son food still, which I really admire because you are such a good mommy! :D But possibly try testing foods because otherwise you'll never know if this is going to be the solution or not.
Have you gotten a second opinion? Maybe if the medicine doesn't work you could find a doctor who specializes in diagnosing FPIES.
On the flip side MASHAALLLLAAHHH he is walking and running! awwww he's growing up Nikki!
Thanks for updating us on your son. He sounds so precious. I hope the medicine works well for him.
Post a Comment