Candice's post about running into her brother while wearing hijab has prompted me to share some of my own "hijabi tales."
I never leave my husband's apartment without a hijab. There are many Muslims in our building and complex so being seen w/out when they all know of my conversion would almost be a scandal, lol.
So, I always leave HIS apartment (not my house, for clarification) with a scarf on my head.
When we arrive at our destination, though, I always panic depending on where it is we're going. Red Lobster is a frequent destination and I always leave my hijab on for Red Lobster. The only person I've run into there is my doctor. He didn't even notice me. I think sometimes the hijab provides camouflage, because when people don't expect to see you dressed like that, they really actually "don't" see you dressed like that.
When we go to the mall I generally take it off. I left it on one time and felt so nervous the whole time that we only stayed a short while. I saw a friend of my mother's and was walking around so nervously and darting around so she wouldn't see me that I'm sure someone thought I must be shoplifting, lol.
When we go to the park it's always on, although sometimes I get nervous and look down because obviously that "hides" me.
When we go to the "big city" i.e. the state capital it is always on. Odds of running into someone are slim and I think the risk is worth it. Because I really do -want- to wear hijab.
When we go to Babies R Us I leave it on. At Christmastime this was an issue because of all the shoppers. I darted in and out of aisles to avoid a number of people I known that day. There is a girl from my classes who works at BRU and saw me one day. She ignored it, and well, I frankly don't care what she thinks anyway.
I wear it bowling. I saw someone from my education classes there one night. As in someone I spent 3+ hours with a day. She seemed a bit freaked when she realized it was me. And neither of us spoke to each other (at the bowling alley). The next day when we were working together on a group project it didn't come up. Now, over a year and many many hours together later...it still hasn't come up.
I wore it to the eye doctor to pick up my contacts. The lady recognized me and didn't comment. They've seen my husband so they probably think it's something I'm doing for him. Oh well.
I WANTED to wear it to my son's doctor appointment this week. It was just my brother and I at home so I was brave and put it on in a Spanish/pirate style so it wouldn't seem so overtly "Muslim." (My family still hasn't told my bro). Nevertheless, even spanish style my brother called me "burqa girl." I took it off so he wouldn't squeal to the 'rents, but put it back on it the car.
Get this, when I got to the doctor's office, though, my HUSBAND had me take it off. He told me he hated the style and that it was pointless because my neck and ears and small hairs were still showing.
Now, I was very self-conscious about the style. I felt I looked more chemo than Muslim, so I took it off without a fight. With that being said, though, shouldn't he have supported my attempt to be covered, instead of pointing out all the ways he didn't feel it was "proper?" Grr.
One more story, that's it, I promise. For our anniversary, hubby and I went out to Olive Garden with our son. I saw someone I knew, and I saw her stare at me for a long time. I ignored her, like, as in, "I'm not Nikki. I'm some Muslim woman who resembles Nikki." riiiight. Anyway, she obviously noticed me. Turns out she is in the college of nursing with my cousin. Talking to my cousin in the car one night (just us) I was being more open about my acceptance of Islam (not for myself, but as a valid path to God). She told me all about this Muslim man in her class who explained to her the difference between a burqa, niqab, abayat, hijab, etc. A little later in the conversation, she says "Did you go to Olive Garden recently?" I was like, "yeah." She then went on," well, my friend from nursing says she saw you there with (your son) and (your husband). She said you were wearing a burqa." Flustered, I respond with, "must have not been me." She goes on, "I told her I didn't think you wore it, but then again I don't know what you wear when you're out." THIS IS THE POINT IN THE STORY WHERE I SHOULD'VE COME CLEAN. She seemed fairly open to the idea of covering. Instead I laugh it off and say, "I don't even own a burqa, and if I did, I wouldn't want to wear it out." WHICH, in my defense, is ENTIRELY true. I personally think burqa's are gross and demeaning. I should have clarified, though, that it was me, but I was wearing a tunic, pants, and a scarf, NOT an actual burqa.
*sigh* I'm sure she totally knows I lied.
And that, my blogging friends, is just a number of my hijabi tales from my less than one year of being a Muslim. I'm sure as I come to cover more and more often, I will have a number of other stories to share. Hopefully all experiences will go without confrontation. The group I'm most worried about is the branch of my family that's not conservative at all, and then the opposite group, the elders of the church I was raised in. Only time will tell. Insha'Allah the reactions will not be too severe.
15 comments:
Convertible hijab? Its a hard place to be in, especially if you are in a small city always running into people you know. One thing you might try is wearing a hijab with a hoodie over it. It seems to make it look less specifically "Islamic." Then again, it doesn't sound like your family is even ready to accept that yet :-(
Hang in there!
interesting..and i can relate to that. :P
i wrote a similiar but not really the same issue in my blog here:
http://travlleroftime.blogspot.com/
Salam
A relative of mine is married to a german woman for over 25 years now, and she wearas the hijab at times as usual and at times like the spanish model you spoke of. so i dont see why he didnt support it in a better way, babysteps..baby steps..and yeah i think you were a bit wrong with your cousine..you need to gain support a bit after bit from relatives and friends and make them understand the differnence between hijab and burqa and you have to make more people realise its the same woman, that you only changed a bit of clothing and your not a fanatic that will blow up something lol..so a cousine here..a cousine there would be great.
I know nonMulims who cover so you could have just told your cousin you wore hijab sometimes without admitting to your faith. She could draw her own conclusions, but if she really thinks you lied about the Olive Garden thing (as you suspect) then she will be more suspicious and wonder why you are trying to hide things. Are you ashamed of being Muslim? Is your husband forcing you to wear things? (I'm trying to think like your cousin here...not asking you, of course. :-))
Hopefully one day you will be able to feel comfortable wearing hijab where ever you go - especially if you stay in your town for the rest of your life. But this sounds like a good start. Thanks for sharing these outings with hijab. :)
You're doing great to wear it out so often! I really hope to do that too. A little more bit by bit!
It's great that you learned from those experiences too, like your response with the last girl who saw you... I would have said something similar in that situation (which, like you say, is totally true!) but now that I had my brother incident, I've had a chance to think things through and I like to think that if I saw a friend who thought she recognized me in hijab and asked me about it later, I'd be able to just admit it readily. I mostly just don't want to deal with people knowing I am Muslim yet.
When did you convert??
I never knew someone who chooses to be muslim would be ashamed and hide their choice!!
What about Allah? don't you think he sees you,don't you think He knows you give more importance to this dunya than submitting to Him???
Sara
as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,
dear anonymous,or Sara, what about words of encouragement instead to help her gain the strength to wear it full-time?
yes, we *should* only fear Allah, but we are all human and sometimes it takes the time to build up to the point of not being nervous/afraid of the reactions of those around us.
she has chosen to start wearing it, taking her steps she needs to take until she has the courage to wear it full-time. May Allah give her strength to keep on wearing it more and more.
I know because I was there at one point. I started wearing hijab part-time as well. then slowly started wearing it more and more while I was out.
It then got to a point that I felt so uncomfortable taking it off (the last step for me was to wear it at work) that I discussed it first with my supervisors and managers just to give them a heads up that I will be starting to wear hijab shortly.
They told me they would discuss it with their superiors and I gave them a week. I asked my manager about it and he said he was waiting for a response from them and that he would try to contact them one more time. I waited another week, and he still had not received a response so I decided I could not wait any longer and had the courage to finally wear it full-time.
They freaked out a bit at work at first but it all went pretty smooth, Alhamdulillah!
If you would like to see an example of how I was only encouraged in my progress to full hijab, you can read these archive threads of a forum I used to be on (and you will see the encouraging replies):
1.
http://archives.themadina.com/year2002/1032039566.html
2.
http://archives.themadina.com/year2002/1032719404.html
3. (if you read the replies you can see I replied with a very nice thing said to me by a non-Muslim Mashalhah)
http://archives.themadina.com/year2002/1034739122.html
inshallah this encourages you to keep striving at wearing the hijab sister!!
another thing, if it comes to a time where you do find yourself needing to explain things to non-Muslims, especially Christians, you could do as I explained to my Christian niece when she asked me-- I told her I am following the ruling of Allah just like Mary, mother if Jesus also followed, by covering her hair--and proceeded to remind her to remember all the images of Mary there are and how she is always (ok, 99% of the time) wearing a hijab.
oh, I forgot to say something.
sister, no matter what you think of the burqa,or niqab, there really are women who do choose to wear it on their own and covering the face is a difference of opinion amongst our major scholars.
the major scholars,with their differing opinions, all have their evidences for the conclusions on the matter and we are allowed to follow the ruling of whom we believe is more correct on the matter.
because of this, we who only wear hijab must not look down on the women who wear niqab and ridicule them, and those who wear niqab must not look down on those of us who do not cover our faces, thinking we are sinning.
Thank you for all of the positive comments and feedback.
Bahlool-you are right. I should have been more honest with my cousin. I am tired of hiding and that may have opened a door to more family members.
Candice - I converted last June. I wore hijab a few times before officially converting, though, starting in January of last year (so the first time I wore hijab was over a year ago). I am one that converted upon believing, though. Some are different and decide to wait until they've learned/adopted most of the religious practices before officially converting. Belief-wise, I'm there, but I haven't even fully learned the prayers yet.
Sara - your harsh words do nothing in support of Islam, so I suggest you change your way of giving sisterly advice. You are right about Allah seeing me, but I do not think you will be helping him judge in the next life, so consider refraining from judging in this life.
Twizzle - Thank you, thank you for all of your kind words and encouragement! I apologize to you, and all women, if my comment about burqa's seemed judgmental. I think a woman has the right to wear whatever she wishes, I guess my concern is that many burqa wearing women do not have a choice (i.e. Afghanistan). If a woman truly feels the burqa helps her feel closer to Allah then I will support her choice to wear it.
As a muslim it is my duty to guide my sister in islam when she is straying from the right path, I will be asked for this on judgment's day.
Where did I judge you?
It is sad that some sisters support you in your ambivalence.
I just reminded you that Allah is the only one that us muslim should want to please!!!
sara
as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullah,
its the way you say things sister... maybe it is because of the internet, and we cannot see your face and hear the tone of your voice, but the way you worded your reply does not sound like you are encouraging her to keep moving forward.
it sure does sound more condescending towards her for what you think is her "giving more importance to this dunya..." when I,and I am sure most people can see that she has the INTENTIONS to take the steps to get into full-time hijab.
it is better to encourage people than to admonish someone for their weakness.
it she wasn't trying to please Allah,she wouldn't even be trying to start to wear hijab.
and sister, where you said:
"...when she is straying from the right path..."
she is not going form hijab to no hijab, she is going from no hijab to wearing hijab, so I don't see how she is straying because she is trying to move towards wearing it.
there is a difference.
Heh, this reminds me of when Ben Stein outted me to my sister, ha. She and I went to the same university, and I always wore it pirate style as well, having not told anyone in my family about becoming a muslim.
Sister and I went to see Ben Stein speak, and have him sign our books afterwards. He asked me if I wore a scarf for religious reasons, and I was like um um, well yes. And he's like, and what are those? Again, flustered, umm ummm, islam. I was turning beat red and was looking for an escape route. Thankfully, he was very nice about it and told me about the muslim neighbors he had as a child.
Sister was surprisingly good about the whole thing as well. We talked about it after the event, and she ended up being very supportive :)
MashAllah.
Sister, I am amazed at your courage. I just recently saw your blog and trust me, I am so amazed at your courage.
I am a born muslim Alhamdolilah but it is only recently that the love of Islam has penetrated into my heart. I started wearing hijab only 1.5 years ago.
I live in a muslim society and yet adopting Hijab was difficult for me. I wonder how much more difficult it must be for you.
InshAllah Allah will reward you for your efforts. He is not gonna judge us on how close we come to the ideals of Islam but on how much effort we have to put in to get there :)
May Allah increase you in strength. Ameen
Nikki --
It shouldn't matter what anyone thinks of you in the hijab.
When you are confident with yourself and with being a REAL Muslim...what other people think should not matter.
I have been wearing hijab now for 3 months full time...even in front of my family.
Sometimes you have to put your needs in front of the needs of your mother/father and sibs.
Ghada
Nikki,
My stepmother is Jewish and very negative towards Muslims and hijab. No, I'm not Muslim - it's 'bad enough' that I believe Jesus is the Jewish Messiah :D - but I do wear hijab. What I did was explain to my folks that I am now wearing something similar to what I wear on my head in the wintertime (basically a cashmere shayla wrapped around my head with a hat on top), except that it doesn't come off anymore. I presented it as a full-time prayer garment, and told them that if they have trouble appearing in public with me in this condition, I'll understand. They didn't have a problem with it, thank God. Indeed, when they saw it 'live', they thought it looked so pretty they e-mailed a photo of it 'round to all their friends!
I think so much of getting people to accept hijab comes down to being comfortable enough in it to be able to present it as something completely normal. As I recall, it took maybe a few weeks of wearing it before a friend of mine told me that I looked like a 'real hijabi' - as if I'd been wearing it all my life (and keep in mind, this person has known me for over 15 years, and I only just put it on last August...).
I've also recently had to replace my ID documents - now with photos of me in hijab. They were very helpful at the US consulate and at the permanent residence office where I live (in Poland). I just called in advance to ask about the requirements, presented everything very calmly. At the consulate they wanted to see it 'live' before sending me to take the photos, so I showed up, they were satisfied, and they directed me to a photo shop across the street that is set up to do the photos in the proper (2" x 2") format.
But all that having been said, if I were in your shoes and it just wasn't the right time to tell certain people about changes in religion or dress code, something that I would very seriously consider would be to wear niqab anywhere where the wrong people might run into me and recognize me if I didn't. Because while I'd turn heads, no one would necessarily have to know who I am. For me personally even that wouldn't work because I am extraordinarily tall, so that people could recognize me even with both screens on a three-piece niqab drawn down over my face and with gloves on. But if you don't have that problem, maybe it could work for you. Then you could just wear regular hijab (i.e. with face uncovered) in places where you don't need to worry about being recognized. You may be interested to know that I even know a Christian girl online who does something like this, apparently it's worked out well...
Post a Comment