That's my son's favorite phrase, "uh oh!" lol
My big "uh oh," though, is realizing I have lost allll motivation re: finding a job.
I have not applied anywhere. Deadlines have passed. Schools are hiring. Jobs are limited due to state budget cuts.
And frankly, at this point in time I don't care.
Come August when, as a teacher, I should be going to work, I may care...but right now? nope.
Part of it is how I have been socialized to think of "summer vacation" as the time you sit around enjoying the things you couldn't enjoy during the school year (i.e. TV, books, movies, MY SON). Another part is that I do have an 18 month old son, and I WOULD rather spend the day with him than obnoxious fifth graders (not a good substitute day for me today...). The third part is that I'm moving out in two weeks and am presently more concerned with packing my belongings than typing cover letters. And the final part is that...I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. My husband has one more semester of university. Which means we have one more semester of living here locally. THEN, he's going to grad school. Where? He's not yet sure. This poses a huge huge problem, because as a teacher, I'm not going to find a "one semester" job, and it's going to look really awful to future employers if I've broken my first contract mid-year.
We cannnot afford to have an apartment both here and near the campus of the university he chooses. I cannot bear the thought of moving back in with my parents. I love them, don't get me wrong, but once I'm out, I shudder to think of moving back and the arguments that could easily ensue. SO, do I find a job here anyway...and wing it or commute no matter how far away we end up? OR, do I not find a job, and sub for a semester waiting to look until we're situated in our new home in January?
Option two sounded good until I realized that being a substitute teacher sucks. The pay is good, and the fact that you don't have to plan, and that you can leave the problems there at the end of the day is just fabulous. BUT, students DO NOT respect substitute teachers, and I can't imagine being in that position daily (or close to daily) for an ENTIRE semester, or maybe even a whole year. yuck yuck yuck
I don't know what to do. :/
5 comments:
Could you make due financially if you were only subbing like 2 days a week? I would do the sub option, but only take the amount of hours necessary to make due. That way you also get to focus on your little boy.
I think I would continue being a substitute for the semester and then get a job closer to your new home. It sounds like it sucks but in the long run, perhaps it would be better because like you said, it would look better on your resume instead of breaking a contract. Plus the pay is better! That's one of the first things I think of lol.
Also a semester isn't that long, I'm sure that the time would go pretty quickly. You said that you don't want to move back in with your parents so this sounds like the lesser of two evils (excuse me using the word evil though lol).
I think the subbing is the best option. It may suck, but its only one semester!
You might also find a temporary contract at a school for things like maternity cover!
It really sounds like you need to continue subbing for a semester until you are stable enough to take on a real position. I know it sucks though!! It's so much better to focus on our babies!! And I am not a teacher, but I was an elementary school student once and after my experiences, I would not want to be a sub... But be strong!
Oh man...I now officially apologize to all subs who i tortured in school :(...
I was cruel now that I think about it. But I just wanted some fun. whaa the guilt!!!
Hmmm we always respected the subs who said do whatever we want as long as we don't break any rules and be quiet when they tell us too :D
Post a Comment