I thought we were going Saturday but then we had a blizzard and my husband had a giant final paper, etc. etc.
So, we get to test out the 'ol Southern hospitality re: hijab tomorrow. :)
I hope we can find a place that really feels like home. I don't want to "settle" with a too small/too shabby property. I don't think we'll have to because the cost of living is (Alhumdullilah!) lower where we're going.
7 comments:
salam sis
i guess in your previous post when you said they all have accents, i had no idea you were talking about southerners. im a southern born and bred, have a southern accent plus im a muslim, alh. please remember that being from the south doesnt automatically make you intolerant of other cultures or religions. there are very kind, gracious, well educated ppl living in the south. not everyone is straight from jerry springer as we are portrayed on tv! inshallah you will have success finding the house you want and if you run into intolerant realtors its just because they are that..intolerant. not because they are southern or have an accent.
May Allah swt give you the best house you can get inshallah!
i'll gladly take your blizzard! and give your husband my papers to do :)(they're half done)
good luck with your house hunt :)
inshAllah you will find what you are looking for without any bad experience. Have faith in people and mostly in Allah :)
Well said, jana z. I hate when people imply we are intolerant because we have southern accents and live in the South.
I went to Syria and lived totally among Muslims for nearly two weeks. And loved it. :)
re: Jana and Susanne. I'm so sorry if I have offended! I certainly didn't mean to lump all Southerner's in the same basket. And it's not really the accent that made me fear intolerance (I just find the accent amusing, but I'll grow accustomed to it), it's the history of the area, etc. Especially since the actual town we're moving to is much smaller than where we are currently, and there's a bit of prejudice here.
I shouldn't have worried, though, ladies! At least with the people we met with (and we met with many) nobody bat an eye at my hijab, and they were really some of the friendliest people I've ever encountered.
Alhumdullilah, I was wrong. I apologize for generalizing/stereotyping.
It's fine, Nikki! Some people here are intolerant, but not all, thankfully. I'm glad your trip went well and I hope you found a good place to rent/buy. :)
A lot of my friends from the North say they are teased when they go home because they have picked up a bit of our southern drawl. So you've been warned. :-)
Post a Comment