Friday, December 3, 2010

Will they still be so nice?

So I've been calling rental properties left and right trying to get them to let us view them tomorrow.  The people all have an accent and are very very nice.

I'm afraid when we show up at the property tomorrow and my husband is brown and I'm in hijab, though, I'm afraid they might suddenly stiffen up.

Have you ever had a bad experience due to hijab, where someone was nice on the phone but then not in person?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I was very lucky to have the opposite experience...I rang up about a room for rent and fixed a viewing appointment. I'm english and had at at that time a typically english name. The lady on the phone sounded english too.
On arrival,it turned out she was a British Pakistani muslimah..born here,hence no 'accent'...we were both pleasantly surprised.

I do understand your worries as I will be applying for jobs soon,and am concerned about the same issue...

AlabasterMuslim said...

I am in the middle of moving also and so far everyone has been very nice when I've shown up (and thats with a brown guy in a thobe and shmag and me in my niqab lol). So inshallah they will be fine with you too.

Susanne said...

Let us know how it goes. Best wishes! :)

Susanne said...

P.S. Doesn't your husband have an accent too? :D I think we all do. Where you are moving,I'm sure they will think YOU have an accent. Trust me. We have Yankees that move here a lot and they do have them! I love accent and accent talk. :)

.::Tuttie::. said...

make du'a that Allah swt softens their hearts...it hasn't failed me yet. :)

Stacy K. said...

ditto Tuttie's comment. Just be open and yourself and you'll be fine.

ellen557 said...

You'll be fine inshaAllah :) Although how nice that you're wearing hijab!