It seems I'm always looking to future events and telling myself, I'll wear hijab after that, insha'Allah, after that, no, after that. (graduation, my wedding, my sister's wedding, for example).
But new "events" that would put my hijab on public display just keep popping up. Making me use the same phrase in my head again and again, yet no longer believing it. I'm tired of wearing hijab "part-time." I want to actually embrace it as a part of my faith. But fear of judgment and people's reaction to me (disowning, simple discomfort that could isolate me more than I already am, etc.) holds me in the same place I was at a year ago. Where is the progress? I have made small strides, but I'm still disappointed in myself.
My sister's wedding was really holding me back. It was hard enough to get her to let me choose an alternative dress and wear a 3/4 sleeve cardigan, if I had asked to wear a headscarf there would've been huge arguments, etc. and we didn't need that at the time.
Now my cousin/best friend has asked me to be in her wedding. And the fear starts again. What dress will she choose? How will I tell her that I need to modify it? Will I be wearing a headscarf by August? She is my BEST FRIEND (and has been for the past 23 years...and yes, we're both 23), but she doesn't know of my conversion. She is a totally different person than my sister, though, and I know if I asked for a modest dress she'd be all sure! Wear what you want! Where my sister had this "perfect" wedding vision, my cousin said the most expensive thing she wants in her wedding is the mixed nuts. No, really, she said that. So I know she'd be accommodating if I'd just ask, but I'm afraid. She lives 4 hours north of our hometown, and i'm moving 4 hours south...so there are more than 8 hours in between us and I will probably see her at most, 3 times before the wedding this August. There were so many times I wanted to tell her about me and Islam when she was home visiting, I don't want to do it through e-mail/facebook and I especially don't want to do it on the phone (I hate talking on the phone...). I'm running out of options, though. And the longer I don't tell her, the more likely a dress dilemma becomes. Also, hiding it from her has put a bit of strain on our relationship. I'm sure she's noticed, but not commented, that I just seem a bit distant, like I'm holding back and am more reserved. Which, I am, because I'm keeping a HUGE part of my life from her.
Will there be a point in my life that I can quit worrying about "coming out," if you will. I thought telling my parents would start the ball rolling for the rest of the family to find out. BUT, my parents are guarding this secret like none other (they're embarrassed and also afraid of judgment) and since telling them almost nothing has happend with the rest of the family.
I can't take the standstill, anymore!
In addition to my cousin's wedding, my high school reunion is to be this year. First I was looking forward to it, there are a lot of people I truly miss. BUT, I'm not the same person I was in high school. And although I didn't drink in high school, I often hung out with them when they did and know well enough that our reunion will turn into a total drunk fest. First off, it's only been 5 years, we're all 23/24 and most are still totally immature. Secondly, our class president, who's in charge of planning it, is a total party girl and anything she plans is not going to be high class. So now, I went from looking forward to it to dreading it, within about two day's time. My husband hates to be around alcohol, anyway (which, I do to, but am more used to it's presence), so getting him to go w/me will be a chore. I'll obviously be dressed modestly, whether or not I decide to go full headscarf, and will stick out like a sore thumb, especially if it's in the summer. I do want to wear hijab to, well, kill about 112 bird with one scarf, so to speak. But, is a gathering that will most likely contain alcohol the proper place to say, Hey, I'm a Muslim! Not really because alcohol is haram, they all know from high school that I don't drink anyway, but because they'll be drunk and more likely to make really lame jokes about my serious decision to be Muslim. I consider(ed) them my friends in high school, went to their parties and watched them drink themselves stupid, yet, they always mocked my devotion to Christianity a bit. Now I'll be even more religious and conservative in their eyes and frankly, I'm tired of being the brunt of their jokes yet know I'll be putting myself up for more of the same.
Gah. It's like high school all over again! A part of me thinks I miss these people, but do I really? What are real friends? We had some fun together, but did they really respect me and my decision to go against the crowd, or were they mocking me more often than not? I remember one occasion where I really felt accepted, was when it came out that I had lost my virginity before our friend Justin (by a few months). He almost died when he found out that the goody-two-shoes of the group had "gotten laid" (to use our crude speech) before him. I remember being proud of that fact, even though I knew I shouldn't. Even though I knew I was manipulated, lied to, and used. Even though I'm still just shy of calling it rape. I still basked in that feeling of belonging, of surprising them with my dirty little secret.
This post took a wrong turn. :/ I make myself sick. Maybe I should forgo the reunion and just meet up with some close friends.
6 comments:
Sister don't pressure yourself, it'll just end up badly that way.
I understand exactly what you're feeling - for me it was like "before uni I'll do it" then "ok after the second semester" then after the wedding, etc. In the end, after my husband went overseas I just decided that that was it... I ended up sending a text to 2 of my work friends and turning up in hijab the next day. In the end, with my other friends, I sent them all a FB message as with my own group, that's the only way to get news out. So if that's what you feel you need to do, then do it that way. If she needs to call, she will but in the end Allah SWT will make things easy for you. It will fall into place.
sounds like you expect the same reunion as my sister had: pork luau and tons of beer. if you decide to go enjoy it.
i plan on going to mine. i'm hoping my year has more class than my sisters. looking at my presidents and what not i can't see them doing anything close to this although i'm sure there will be booze.
i once read something for hijab. i don't remember it all but here's the gist. if you take it one day at a time it's easy. in the morning when you get dress say a prayer and ask for strength to go through this day wearing hijab. continue this until you look back and go o hey i've been wearing it straight for 3+ months! try taking it one day at a time instead of thinking about months down the road.
i still feel nervous when i have to go do something with people i knew before my conversion and i know they're not accepting or don't know of my conversion.
good luck, and may allah be with you :)
i agree with ellen! don't pressure yourself. it's hard! we know it's hard! :-) especially when your family isn't exactly supportive. speaking of which, not to bash your parents, but i find it absolutely awful that your parents are hiding your conversion like you've killed someone. i know they feel they're doing the right thing, but that makes my heart break for you.
anyway, i'm going through something of the same thing right now; one of my best friends is getting married in april, and the dress she has chosen for her bridesmaids is not exactly modest. i know she wouldn't mind if i wanted something more modest, but the problem is, she chose them (and i agreed to wear one) before my conversion last year, so now i feel like i can't back out. i guess i will just wear the dress for the ceremony and pictures and then put on a cardigan as soon as i can...
regarding your high school reunion, it sounds like your high school friends aren't friends. i know that sounds horribly cliché, but oh, well. :-) i was like you in high school and college; i was (and still am, i guess, lol) the goody-goody, but my friends loved and accepted me anyway. i was always at their parties, smiling and chatting, just not drinking (or doing anything else). when other people would ask why i wasn't drinking, my friends would say, "that's just how nikki is!" and the discussion ended there.
i don't think you should go if you will be uncomfortable. you don't deserve to be made the butt of people's jokes all night so they can enjoy their time. spend it with people who love you. :-)
sorry for the super-long comment! :-)
I don't think your parents are awful for not telling your secret. It seems you are not telling so why should they? I actually prefer people to share their own secrets and don't blame your parents one bit. How often did it come up in conversation to your parents: "oh is Nikki still a believer in Jesus?" As long as YOU come across as shy (embarrassed??) of your decision and don't share it, why should they? YOU need to take the initiative and have courage to tell others. Don't put this off on your parents to do.
If you believe hijab is what God wants then you are disobeying Him by refusing to wear it. If, however, it's just something cultural and a *preference* that you or your husband want, it's not such a huge deal since you aren't actually disobeying God.
I think deciding if you are deliberately disobeying God is important. It's like: if you are willingly disobeying Him, why? If it's merely preference,then don't worry so much about it.
In the end you have to ask yourself if it's more important to obey God or look 'normal' in front of people so you won't be laughed at.
(I read a post along these lines the other day so that's why I have this on my mind. :))
Here is the post. Oh,trust me, it challenged me so I am "preaching" to myself in my reply to you as well. :)
---------------------------
Who are you going to offend?
One of the most important decisions you'll ever make is this: who are you going to offend? You'll offend somebody, I promise you that. But will you offend man or God? That single decision will set the tone of your life. Either you'll become a people-pleaser because you're afraid of offending people. Or you'll become a God-pleaser because the last thing you want to do is offend the Almighty.
It's hard not to draw tremendous inspiration from the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. King Nebuchadnezzar had shown them great favor and put them in positions of authority. It had to be difficult to refuse to bow to his ninety foot statue. He was the second-to-last person that they wanted to offend. The first? God.
Daniel 3:16 says, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if he doesn't, Your Majesty can be sure that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up."
It was their unwillingness to offend God that set the table for one of the most amazing miracles in Scripture. God delivers them from the fiery furnace.
Who are you going to offend? You need to settle it now.
--------------------
Please don't take what I said in a bad way...just consider it a challenge to help you decide who you plan to please. Best wishes!
Thank you for this post. I have also been struggling recently with telling family and friends that I consider myself a Muslim now, and feel like I'm generally failing at explaining why this makes sense to me and what it all means. It's good to know that there are others out there facing similar challenges. I hope everything works out the best for you!
salam sister..well we have a lot in common i have been a silent reader for a while..i am also italian but also half slovenian and married to the same nationality as you are..my parents are catholic..the only difference is ..i converted 2 years before in even knew my husband..so my parents knew i had converted for myself..and maybe what your parents are feeling is that since this man has been in ure life..their bby girl has done a 360. About the reunion..please remember..are you trying to please the ppl at the party or allah..if you think of this serisouly i don't think you would even go to such events..not that i am saying you need to become a hermit but don't make it harder on ureself..in terms of hijab..you honestly don't know when your time will come to leave this earth ..i think that you have a heart of gold and think of everyones feelings before you do something (i was just the same) but you need to be a little selfish for your own personal growth inshallah..i know this is such a late reply i havn't been on ure blog in a while..but i needed to let you know these few pointers..
**Bella-Vita**
Post a Comment