Saturday, April 16, 2011

A List

Reasons I Think My Mother-in-Law Now Accepts Me Despite the Fact that I'm American:

1.  She no longer tells my husband to marry a nice Saudi girl instead of me.  She now jokingly tells him to marry one in addition to me so that she can have more grandchildren.

2.  She insists that I live with them for the month that they are visiting this summer (MIL, FIL, and 14 year old SIL) despite the fact that my husband will be 13 hours away in Minnesota and I could easily stay 30 minutes away at my parents house and drive to see them frequently.

3.  She has suggested I remove my IUD and start having more babies.  I would  love another baby, but it's not happening anytime soon unless dear MIL is prepared to start paying our bills and renting us a larger place.

4.  She keeps buying me lingerie.


Okay, now that the list is compiled, I think it all boils down to one thing....  She accepts me because she has to in order to have access to her grandson and the subsequent grandchildren she is impatiently waiting for.  :)  Please don't take this list to seriously, while it is all true, it was meant in good fun.  I do believe my MIL and I have as good of a relationship as can be expected for two people with a giant language, culture, and geographical barrier.

4 comments:

Ayah said...

LOL @ #4 :P

alhamdolillah that your relationship with your MIL has improved over time...even if it is only because she wants to see her grandchild(ren)

Muslim&Proud said...

hahaaaha i love #4. my MIL buys me night clothes. i find it kinda creepy but i really think it's their culture.

i have to agree with #3 too. my MIL wants granddaughters that look just like me-lol.

it's good she's accepting of the american thing. :)

.::Tuttie::. said...

LOL @ #4...and EWWW! EWWW! WWW!! and not such a suble way of letting you know what she wants. EWWW.

EWWWWWWWWWW!!

I know eventually my kids will be married and sexually active but I don't feel comfortable buying a gadget or clothes to improve their sex life. EWWWW! Childish I know but my mind wont even venture there. lol!


on the other hand its cool that you are having a better relationship with your in laws as that can be very stressful on a marriage and sense of self.

Nikki said...

Yeah...#4. Whenever my SIL goes home to visit, she always comes back with a bag of clothes/hijabs/etc. for me from her mother (which is also my husband's mother, which I suppose you could have concluded on your own). The first "shipment" I excitedly started pulling things out of the bag displaying them for my husband with both my SIL and BIL in the room. Imagine my horror when I pulled on a sheer red nightie.... omg, my SIL was trying to warn me. Her eyes were huge and she was trying to shake her head, but it was too late. I stuffed it back into the bag faster than you can imagine.

Needless to say, I now wait until I'm at home alone or with just my husband before going through the bag. I finally told my mother about these gifts and she seemed creeped out. Now I wish I wouldn't have told her. I think it's pretty normal culturally (as Muslim and Proud said), and I don't want my mom to get any wrong ideas.