Monday, May 2, 2011

Decorating for Eid

Well, my son is now old enough to catch on to the holiday excitement.  He had a gift filled Christmas, an egg and candy filled Easter, etc.  I don't mind that he has fun on the other holidays, but I want to make Eid even more special, or at least equal in excitement. 

So, that means I've started thinking about it already.  I know Ranoon.com has some BEAUTIFUL decorations that I'm going to buy as Ramadan gets closer.  I also plan on making Eid sugar cookies with my son like we used to make Christmas cookies at home.  There were some Eid cutters online, just a crescent, an E, I, D, and a sheep.  I could buy just regular letters or something I'm sure for probably a bit less.

I don't decorate for the other "Christian" (I consider them American) holidays other than some Annalee mice...holding hearts for valentine's day, flowers/eggs for Easter, wearing red and green at christmas, etc. My mom had Annalee dolls that she decorated with for Christmas, and she got me my first one's (easter mice) and it helps me to feel connected to continue decorating with them.  They're not obnoxiously huge or religious in any sense..and they look good on my piano!  Oh why am I making excuses...I like them and they're staying.

What I was trying to say, was that I don't really decorate 1) because it's impractical with a two year old who moves the decorations anyway and 2) because I don't want to play up the non-Islamic holidays anymore than they already are on the streets and with my family, etc.  For Eid I was wanting lights, and luminaries, and just classy decorations like some people have for Christmas.  I do not want tacky decorations that look like they're for a birthday party (they do sell them online), I want -real- decorations like my mother always had for holidays.  I want something that I could possibly pass on to my child(ren) when they get homes/families of their own.

So, I'm going to spend less on his Eid gift (for he really doesn't need much, we're getting him a tricycle for Eid and that will be more than enough) and use the rest to create a festive atmosphere in our home. 

I did not come from a family that had a -real- Christmas tree that gets put up on Christmas Eve.  That always seemed like such a waste to me...of trees, and time.  You are seriously going to decorate a tree for one day?  That's kind of my feeling on Eid, too (although Eid is three days).  I know some moms stay up late on the last night of Ramadan and transform the house for Eid the following day.  I would rather get some sleep and have the house decorated for the whole of Ramadan AND Eid.  Do you think that's acceptable?  Do people decorate for Ramadan?

Anyway, I know it's early, but I've been fasting lately to make up for almost a whole Ramadan of breastfeeding so it's been on my mind.

What do you do to make it special? 

1 comment:

LK said...

I think its cute you wanna decorate for all of Ramadan. Go for it!