Thursday, June 23, 2011

Please don't think I'm silly

but I have a question.  And I know there is no such thing as a stupid question, but....

Is there any "color" generally thought to represent Ramadan/Eid?  Like, Christmas is red and green, Halloween is black and orange, Easter is all pastels, Valentine's Day is pink and red....  Eid is...????  It's driving me crazy.  I'm trying to make decorations and such to decorate our house so our son can have some Ramadan traditions, but I'm not sure what color to make things?  Ranoon.com has lovely decorations for sale, and they seem to be themed around red and gold and green and gold...is this simply the creator's preference? 

If there are no 'official' colors of Ramadan, I may make the colors at my house deep blue and gold, kind of like the night sky since the moon is kind of the symbol or Ramadan.  I think they would be pretty together.




In other news, I'm trying to get my Muslimah paperdolls done in order to be sold in time for Ramadan/Eid.  Unfortunately, my parents printer hates me so whether I'm done or not, I would not be able to print them here.  :(  I think they're cute.  And I'd like to share them, but alas, another setback.  They are hand drawn and colored (the originals, I would then color copy them to sell) so I'd like to think that the imperfections only add to their value...hmmm.  I don't do the whole computer illustrating thing. So far I have four girls with different skin tones and hair, etc.  There will then be four sheets of outfits, each sheet with 3 outfits.  An abaya set, a maxi (dress and skirt) set, a tunic set, and an "occasion" set which is tentatively set to have a Muslim swimsuit, wedding gown, and prayer garment.  I'm hoping to offer them as one girl with one set of clothes or the whole set of 4 girls and 12 outfits.  What do you think?  Would you consider buying them for a little Muslimah in your life?

10 comments:

Baji said...

although there arent any ramadan colors, i'd say (like u mentioned) the night colors: blue, purple, sunset type. and then emphasize it with silver to represent the moon light and stars shining, or gold looks nice too. i usually go with purple as a major color in my home for ramadan. excited to see what u come up with!

Anonymous said...

Green represents Ramadan, at least in SEA culture.

Nikki said...

I'm beginning to think it may be different culturally. Here in the U.S. it seems to be anything goes. In my comments I've gotten night hues, and green...and my husband told me anything bright (red, blue, yellow, green, orange). Looks like I'll stick to the blues and golds for my more "mature decorations" (table settings, for example) and may go the rainbow route with things geared toward my 2 year old (his advent calendar, for example).

Anonymous said...

there's no such thing as an "official color" for decorations in Ramadan.
Decorating is recent ,no decorations in time of the Prophet pbuh,the decorations came after, imitating the Christian holidays.
Advent calendar is a very "Christian thing"

Green is Islam's color, not Ramadan or Eid persay.

Nikki said...

Why is it always anon's the give the "holier than thou" comments. If I were to be technical, it couldn't be called an advent calendar because it is not counting down to Eid, it is simply counting through the days of Ramadan to make each day special and enjoyable for a child who does not yet fast or understand the meaning. Advent calendars are for sure associated with Christmas, but it's not a very "Christian" thing, more of a very "child-like" thing to look forward to the holidays.

I am not saying that decorating for Ramadan and/or Eid is required in Islam. Were I to have no decorations, Ramadan would remain a holy month of fasting and Eid would remain a joyous day of celebration, prayer, and visiting. I don't think it's unIslamic to decorate, though. In my culture, it is common to decorate for holidays, seasons, etc. My holidays are now limited to Ramadan and Eid, so culturally, I have the desire to decorate.

I don't know why as an American convert I'm expected to take so many other "cultural" concepts as Islamic, yet if I try to take something harmless from my culture, I get reprimanded for it.

You know what's not Islamic? Honor killings, punishment for women who have been raped, women being denied their rights, strict gender segregation, etc. etc. etc. Let me decorate in peace.

Also, I am interested to know what made green the color of Islam? I don't know of any other religion represented by a color. I know KSA's flag is green with the shahada on it. Is this where green is taken from?

Anonymous said...

I understand that you are a convert, however your husband should know this...
The color green has a special place in Islam. It is used in the decoration of mosques, the bindings of Qur'ans, the silken covers for the graves of Sufi saints, and in the flags of various Muslim countries. Green has been associated with Islam for many centuries. The colour green was the colour used by Muhammad’s tribe on their flags. According to muslims the colour green symbolizes nature and life. In the Qur'an (Surah 76:21) it is said that the inhabitants of paradise will wear green garments of fine silk. The colour green has been considered especially Islamic for centuries. Crusaders avoided using any green in their coats of arms, so that they could not possibly be mistaken for their Muslim opponents in the heat of battle.

Thee Quran and the Hadith, the teachings of Prophet Muhammad, describe Paradise as filled with green: the people of Paradise "will wear green garments of fine silk [The Noble Quran, 18:31]." Islam also considers green significant because it is the color of nature.


Jennah

Anonymous said...

Purple is the Catholic's color

I'm catholic but I also know that Islam is represented by green

Anonymous said...

Why do you get offended because someone answered that there's no "decoration color" because decorations didn't really existed, the person didn't say you should not decorate,she or he said it comes from the Christian's holidays tradition.
You ask a question and got an answer, it might not be to your liking however what the person said is the truth.

Nikki said...

Thanks for the information about green. I truly did not know it was considered the representative color of Islam. If you were a follower of my blog, you would realize my husband is out of town for three months so is not always available to ask. Also, his understanding is not always the same as some of the commentators on my blog, which is why I wanted their take on it.

I was not offended that there is no decoration color. The fact that they answered truthfully, no, there were no decorations in the time of the prophet is a fine answer to the question posed. I just did not appreciate the bit about imitating Christians perhaps because I hear that phrase in regards to everything western. You can't wear this, do that, etc. etc. not because it is unIslamic, but rather because it is western, which for some reason equals Christian in so many people's eyes. Perhaps I overreacted to the actual comment because of past experiences. For this reason I apologize to the original anon because their opinion is a valid one.

Anonymous said...

Salam Nikki, i totally agree with your view that sometimes us converts have to strip every layer of ourselves/culture away as we are western girls, and anything we do is said to be not islamic? When in fact that's not the case. I think the way you are introducing this special holiday to ure boy is wonderful.

As for the person who said this
"It is used in the decoration of mosques, the bindings of Qur'ans, the silken covers for the graves of Sufi saints, and in the flags of various Muslim countries. "

Ummm...Sufi Saint..lol are u kidding me? please let me know how green is special because we cover sufi saints graves with the colour, if anything that colour would be dis-liked by muslims if it is associated with grave worshippers or saints as that is NOT islam.
_CocoMuslimah