Just in case someone does, short recap time!
Hijab - still wear it 100% of the time in Kentucky, 40% of the time in Indiana (any time I'm not around my parents).
Prayer - REALLY struggling lately. I was doing the best I've ever done during Ramadan and now I've totally lost it. This semeste'rs work load starting the trend and it's become a habit. I do more du'a now than in the past, but I realize the ritual prayer is the most important and I need to do a lot better.
School - A day or two before the semester began the college e-mailed me saying, "your program is being cancelled. You must finish within the next three semesters. Plan accordingly." Well, my plan had been to take one course a semester. It's graduate school, it's hard, I've got a son, and I work (more on that later). I was in no hurry to rush through. So, I had to add a class this semester (and all of the following) as well as take courses this summer in order to get done on time. Thankfully, my complaints about finding tuition money for these extra unplanned courses resulted in about $2000 heading my way. Yay for school being paid for!
Work - I am still an Independent Consult for Thirty-One Gifts but am planning on retiring at the end of April. There are multiple reasons for this: a) I am too busy with other things to give the business the time it requires to succeed, b) everyone is poor right now and doesn't have money to spend on bags/purses, c) I think I'm annoying my friends, d) it's a Christian company and I feel like a fraud, e) 5 months in and I've still spent more than I've made, and f) new catalog is released May 1, I can't afford another catalog launch (new supplies, etc. etc.).
More work - I am happily working as proofreader/editor for The New Muslim Survey, found here: http://www.thenewmuslimsurvey.org/ . Take the survey; make your voice heard! :) Any errors found on the website are not my fault! I edit the articles only, the little website "blurbs" were typed without my input. :/
Family - My family still does not like that I'm Muslim. My mom is getting better, though she wouldn't admit it. She cooks separate zabiha food for us, called me the other day about a sale on long sleeved layering shirts at Wal-Mart, etc. I openly show my brother pictures of me in hijab. My grandmother's could both use a great deal of prayer. Alzheimers seems to be winning more each day. :(
Friends - I HAVE FRIENDS IN KENTUCKY! One night last fall I had four (Muslim) women in the park ask me to join them and I thought I was on my way out of loneliness. When they found out my husband was Shi'a, however, they never got ahold of me again UNTIL months later, one of them had the audacity to ask for help with her research paper. I had tried to get ahold of her in the past hoping to go to the park for a gathering again or something but was ignored. So, no, I didn't help her with her paper. I am an extremely nice person, often too nice for my own good, but this time it was NOT happening.
I did meet one friend, during that time period, who has since moved in next door (thanks to my pleas to the landlord). I thought I was happy with just one friend, my husband and son, my stressful schooling, and my random attempts at work. However, I met another woman at the beginning of this semester. My son hit her in the eye with a toy tent pole, so I thought the friendship came to a halt before it started. Weeks later, though, she called and invited me to go to a gym with her. She said it was a woman's gym, so I thought I was going to a Curves or something. She then told me we'd be going from 9 - 10:30 at night. I thought it odd, but I was up for it. Turns out, it's a co-ed gym during the day, but on Tuesday and Thursday nights, it's Muslim women only!!!!! Basically, it's amazing. I feel I've made three good friends through going (and I've only been five times), and a lot of nice acquaintances. It's SOOOO nice to feel comfortable exercising! T-shirts, tight pants or capris, no hijab! It's just a really wonderful experience and just seems so out of place in small town southern Kentucky. It's a college town so there are a LOT of Muslim women at this gym. And it's all been spread by word of mouth. Additionally, Muslim women are just more fun to work out with. Nobody's there to get all muscular, we're just there to get/stay fit, and take care of ourselves. Also, there is not that level of self-consciousness that I've experienced in the past (pre-Muslim days). When it's Zumba time, even if you suck at Zumba, you give it a shot. If someone (or everyone) drops out (needs a break, too tired, etc.) you can stand there and do Zumba by yourself and nobody will bat an eye. I've never experienced such a thing.
So, in addition to giving me a HUGE social boost, I feel great from working out regularly and am honestly much happier with myself. I've never been fat, needed to lose weight, etc. But I certainly was not healthy either, with my food choices and sitting with a computer all the time.
Reading - Benazir Bhutto's "Reconciliation." Just a short bit in but it seems like something everyone should read, especially in the west with all the crazy Muslim propaganda
Politics - suck. Since it looks like Ron Paul can't win the nomination, I guess I'll have to vote Obama again.
International affairs - suck. What about Bahrain people, what about Bahrain? I know Syria is no less bad due to Bahrain experiencing something similar. However, it really irks me how the U.S. is all (especially John McCain) "we've got to do something!" when they're selling arms to Bahrain and in cohoots with Saudi Arabia who is killing protestors in their own country and in Bahrain. Seriously, people. Seriously.
And Iran? If we go to war with Iran here comes World War III, and here comes me moving to Canada. I'm tired of living in a country that protects "the interests of Israel" despite whether it's morally right or even practically right (think military we just brought home). I'm also tired of living in a country who thinks everyone's business is their own. We've got a shitload of problems here at home, they (Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria) don't want your "help" anyway, so let's just fix ourselves first, mmkay?
I think that's it. I want to write a book. Like, for publication. But I am totally drawing a blank on ideas. A memoir would be interesting, but at this stage in my life entirely too personal (unless published anonymously, which isn't recommended). Any ideas? I'm sarcastic which comes off in my writing. Keep that in mind. :)
6 comments:
heyyy! good to see you!
woow lots of updates huh?
I just moved to live with my husband in another state as well and I am totally with you that making friends is actually sort of hard... i never had this problem before in my life.
I'm so glad that you found some people to spend time with though alhamdulillah!
As for the shi3a thing with those ladies who didn't call. So not cool...... I know a lot of sunni women just don't know how to interact with shi3a people because they never really did it before but come on people.... we are muslim and there are few of us here. we should be a little more accepting.
Also note that it goes the other way too. me and my husband have had some unpleasant experiences with shi3a people not accepting us because we are sunni (we live in a place with large shi3a population). In fact my husband got intentionally cut 4 times on his neck with a razor when the barber found out that he was sunni.
can't we all just get along???
Glad to read you again :) It's really wonderful that you made friends at the gym, and it sounds like a very nice place!
It's not always easy to pray on time, and I understand that if you're busy it's even harder. I just hope that it will improve for you soon! :)
Keep writing! ;)
Thanks, ladies! @New Wife, omgoodness on the razor thing! It is really just ridiculous. I am not suggesting that everyone agree, but after 1300-1400 years can't we at least agree to disagree? Can't we stop calling each other names and kafir, etc? (and cutting each other with razors...) I have heard people say insane things about shi'a (like there is one day where the whole family gets together and has sex or something? WHAT!?) and it seriously reminds me of high school rumors that go around. We have got to be better than this as an ummah, am I right? I have made amazing Sunni friends online and at the gym, so please don't think I was implying that all Sunnis are the same way. It really makes me sad that in a country where to be Muslim is to be in the minority, we continue to further divide ourselves.
Glad to hear you're doing well. I know what you mean by "do people even read this?" I feel the same way about mine lol When the drama ends and its not the main part of your life, there isn't much to write is there?
I am glad you are finding friends, it is sad to hear that some didn't turn out though!
I enjoyed the update. Glad things seem to be going well! :)
Post a Comment