Friday, July 24, 2009

Question for Hijabis

I have a question regarding my hair and my wearing of hijab...I don't even wear it full-time, yet I'm already noticing hair breakage at my hair line (like, where i once had some tiny baby hairs I now have many more and they are longer, thus, it's only practical to believe that my hair is breaking off). I know that this must be from hijab, because I have changed nothing else about my hair care, actually I recently got my hair cut off, so my hair is much healthier than it has been for awhile because I no longer put it back in a ponytail all the time.

I wear a white cotton underscarf seen here: http://www.middleeasternmall.com/white-cotton-hijab-tube-p-1339.html

I wrap my shaylas tightly over the underscarf, but I thought that my hair would be protected by the underscarf? I don't have a blow dryer at my husband's apartment, so I often throw on my hijab over wet hair...do you think that could be the problem?

I love wearing hijab, but I feel I must be doing something wrong for this to already be happening with me not even wearing it that often. I wash my hair every other day, and sometimes daily because it gets sooo greasy sooo fast.

Any advice? Anyone shared this experience?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam Nikki.
I'm pretty sure it's the fact you throw your scarf over your wet hair. I used to wrap my hair in a bun without letting it dry, and...yeahh, my hair was considerably not as healthy. I shower at night now, so my hair has all night to dry before I wake up, wrap it into a bun, and put my hijab on over it. Oh, and BTW olive oil is the greatest deep conditioning hair treatment there ever was. Good luck!

Muslim&Proud said...

hello. returning one of your lovely comments :) i had a few questions for you also, likeeeee how long ago did you convert, and where are you from in the US?

i converted completely almost 7 months ago... can't believe its been that long. i guess i was a muslim since last ramadan though since i fasted and everything, just no shahada and praying. i was also wearing long sleeves then to. i think that made it easier to take on the hijab when i fist converted. i hope you will be able to soon isA.

for me i didn't notice any increase in tiny hairs, i think they may have decreased... but i'm not sure lol.

Nikki said...

I only converted about a month ago, and by converted I mean I took my shahada. I still do not do all of the prayers and wear hijab full-time because of family difficulties. I am working on changing this, of course. I shared with another sister that I sometimes wish I had put off shahada until a time when I am more capable of fulfilling all of my duties as a Muslim. But at the same time, I truly believe in what I stated by saying shadaha, so maybe it would be worse to put off my conversion? Either way is not ideal, I guess. But insha'Allah I will become a better Muslim every day.

I'm from the midwest, I won't say where specifically because I never know who might stumble across this blog. Where are you from?

I wear long sleeves whenever possible (i.e. my family won't be making a huge deal out of it) and I do find it a bit hot, but I've always been one to hate the heat no matter what I'm wearing, lol. I wear hijab at least every weekend and I think I will have no problem taking it on daily once my family knows because I really see it as something special, it's not something I'm reluctant about.

After posting this it occurred to me that my son constantly pulls my hair right in front...I think it's probably a combination of putting my hijab on over wet hair and my crazy 8 month old son. :)

ellen557 said...

I really think it would be from wearing it with wet hair.
Also, try not wrapping the shaylas so tightly & try getting some salon quality shampoo + conditioner, they really do seem to work <3

Muslim&Proud said...

hmm... i don't tell either. sorry i would like to talk to you some more though :) i'll send you my email. but you can't post that comment lol.

Jannah said...

Assalamu alaikom, Well I pretty for sure (95% sure) that it is happening because you are not allowing your hair to properly dry. Especially if you are pulling it up while it is wet.

I learned something from my hair dresser. Most of us normally wash our hair in warm water.. well before you get out of the shower you should re-rinse your hair in cold water.
Meaning:
Rinse Shampoo & Conditioner with lukewarm water first.. because cold water will lock in shampoo and dirt and hot water will scald your hair and make it brittle..
After you have rinsed the shampoo and conditioner from your hair you should then make a final rinse of cold water. (final rinse without using shampoo or conditioner, Only use water) The cold water will close & seal the pore, follicles and the hair cuticles. Making hair more stronger and reducing split ends.

Hope this helps.