Monday, November 9, 2009

My Baby is ONE!

My son's birthday was today. I can't believe it's been a whole year.....Really, now, where did the time go?

He was spoiled rotten with gifts from me and his daddy, his aunties, his uncle, and his grandparents and great grandparents. We're going to need a bigger house just to store his toys, it seems, lol.

He can't eat cake because it contains grains and eggs, and he can't eat ice cream because it's made with cow's milk.

Sooo, I made a cheesecake for the rest of the family to eat and so he could have a candle and singing, but all he got to eat was a "Birthday Banana." You should see how much he loves eating bananas, though, lol, I don't think he knew he was missing out on anything.

His endoscopy was last Tuesday. Everything was clear, but the results from the biopsies they took from his esophagus, stomach, and intestines have not been given to us yet. They were testing how he breaks down certain sugars and proteins, I think. I know they can test for allergy through the biopsies, but I don't think they can test for what specifically he is allergic to. He is now drinking 3 oz. of the neocate (amino acid) formula a day. He has actually moved past the spoon and into a special sippy cup I bought for him. It's basically the only cup he'll drink out of, so even though it was $6, I think I'll splurge and buy a couple more. Once he's comfortable with the formula I think I'll start weaning or at least decreasing feedings. I think it will make me a little emotional when we stop getting this bonding time together, but at the same time, it'd be nice to be able to have some 'freedom.' Breastfeeding a baby every 3 hours for a year really ties you down.

My son is really developing a personality and I find myself cracking up at some of his antics. His favorite song is now Old MacDonald. EVERYONE sings it to him now, even his grandparents in Saudi Arabia. He starts bobbing up and down to the beat and sings along "e-i-o" He waves his arms like he's conducting and is just the cutest thing, mash'Allah. There's a certain song I play on the piano, it has no lyrics, that he absolutely loves. He'll stop what he's doing when he hears it so that he can scoot over to the piano (he doesn't crawl, still scoots on his butt, which is all I ever did as a baby) and then starts the whole dancing routine. (bobbing, waving the arms, etc.) He's a very musical baby, hence, the keyboard he got for his birthday today. I sing and play the piano (and clarinet barely), and his father plays the guitar, drum, and oud, (and a little keyboard) so I think perhaps he inherited it from both sides.

Another crazy thing he did today...I'm almost embarrassed to share this. He absolutely loves playing with balls. Bouncy balls, soccer balls, anything. My brother actually got him 100 soft balls for his birthday and has turned his playpen into a ball pit! So cute, my son absolutely loved it! But anyway, today I had him up on the changing table, and he turned and kind of cupped my breast. (I was dressed, of course). He eats from them all the time so I was just like, whatever, if it keeps him occupied (changing is a real struggle sometimes). But anyway, he has his hand on my breast and he looks at me and says "ball," only for him it's more like "bA!" Oh goodness I laughed so hard. At least if we don't wean soon he'll be asking for his ball in the grocery store instead of for "boobies." I've been trying to say "milk" "halib" all the time when he eats to avoid the "boobie" embarrassment if he starts talking more prior to weaning.

Life is entertaining. And so, so, busy. I'm still reading blogs, just not posting as often. I plan on replying to comments that have been made on my past few posts. Insha'Allah I will find the time soon.

7 comments:

Stacy K. said...

Aww I can't believe he's a year already!
I taught Layla to call breastfeeding Naas, which means breast in Somali. Its convenient, but makes the Somalis crack up when they hear her say it :-)
The ball pit sounds like one of the coolest gifts ever. I would like one big enough for me to play in.

I would hold off on weaning completely for awhile. It still helps boost the immune system so much. Cutting back is nice though. Did you guys get WIC or something to help pay for the formula?

Layla still nurses about 3 times in 24 hrs, so I get enough breaks, but we still have that bonding. She also never gets the runny noses and little colds that some babies seem to always have. I thought I'd only nurse her to 2, but I'm going to let her go to 2 1/2 if she wants to.

Banana Anne said...

Alhamdulillah on turning one! Masha'Allah, he sounds like such a sweetheart, and intelligent!

.::Tuttie::. said...

MASHAALLAH! we didn't do anything special when my son turned a year old (like 3 weeks ago) except i made a post and got all melodramatic that my baby is leaving me, that he wont need his mama anymore. I cried and acted like a baby. sigh.

They DO grow up so fast and you are left holding their itty bitty onesies while they are off exploring the world....WITHOUT YOU!!! *tears.

May Allah swt heal your son and give him complete cure AMEEN.

Anonymous said...

Lol! What a funny little guy he is :D I am so happy for you, and so glad to read about some positivity happening for you! Yay!

AlabasterMuslim said...

My little sister called my mom's 'mama milkies', and my little brother called them 'na-na-nas'. (just like how someone would say nanana booboo!)
Mashallah, your son is so cute.

Susanne said...

A birthday banana AND a ball pit! Wow! :-) Happy birthday to your little musical guy. He sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Salaam Nikki,

I wish your son a very Happy Birthday and he seems like one adorable kid mashallah. May Allah always protect him for you.

I came across your blog today and I was totally immersed in it, read every post, every word and I applaud you for possessing this immense strength and determination to be who you are, to stand up for what you believe in even if it bothered your loved ones and to carry so much love for Islam in your heart when many, many Muslims out there overlook the beauty of this religion.

Just remind yourself dear, that with every hardship comes ease, and that Allah will always, always be there with you.

I'll check your blog regularly for updates =) Keep it up, sister.

Best wishes,
Alma