Monday, November 2, 2009

Long Overdue

So, I was posting and posting about my son and then I got overwhelmed with coming clean to my parentsabout Islam and failed to update you.

The parental issues have come to a bit of a standstill. They are somewhat in denial, acting like this is a phase that they'll just have to 'wait out.' They didn't even tell my brother, leading me to believe they're hoping he'll never have to know. My mom has done the most acknowledging, asking me if this means I'm not eating pork and asking what lunchmeat I'd like her to buy for me instead. (i still eat non-halal meats, my parents can only take so much at a time...and halal meat is not sold in our town, you'd have to drive at least 30 minutes to get any (not very fresh) and about two hours if you want good quality meat.)

Anyway, so, I'm surviving. They're quite smothering at times with their concern. And I'm annoyed that they still had me go to church with them.

BUT, what I wanted to post about was a long overdue update on my son. He had his appointment with the pediatric GI on Oct. 23. This doctor actually listened to us and agreed that it was allergy related. He said physically, my son is absolutely fine, no virus, no stomach problems, no 'failure to thrive,' etc.

The doctor was concerned about my weight loss. I explained that it is very difficult to satisfy a 1 year old with breastmilk alone (and the occasional fruit). He agreed and gave us some amino-acid based formula to try. It's a 'medical formula' so it costs an arm and a leg. :/ Right now the most we can get him to drink is 2 ounces, but only from a spoon. For some reason, he won't take it any other way. I'm hoping that the more he gets used to it, we'll eventually be able to give it to him in a sippy cup and I can cut down on breastfeeding. Since the doctor visit, we've continued to try with fruits and he's done very well. He associates certain spoons with getting sick, so we've changed his silverware and he's eating more babyfood. Still not really liking it, but he'll eat small amounts without screaming. He LOVES to eat real food, though. He likes to eat bananas, apples, pears, peaches, and grapes like a big boy. Of course, you can't get all your nutrients from fruit, so he's still on a multivitamin with iron and like I said we're still working on the formula.

They scheduled an upper endoscopy for -tomorrow!- to see if they can find anything more out that way and to make sure there is no damage to his esophagus. I've had an endoscopy myself, and know that I was in absolutely no pain during or after, so that makes me feel a bit better. I'm still terribly nervous, though, about anesthesia, and him fasting, and him waking up with me not there..... :/

The ped. GI also referred as to a pediatric allergist who has made us an appointment on Dec. 1. We are getting answers! It may be a roundabout way of getting answers, but at least we haven't had any more reactions. I showed the GI the information on FPIES and he said it could very well be related. The allergist would be the one to diagnose that, though.

So, that's what's going on. Pray for his 'surgery' tomorrow! Pray for his parents and grandparents, also, because I'm sure we'll all be more worried than him. :) Insha'Allah it will go smoothly with clear results.

5 comments:

Meems said...

InshaAllah khair...glad you finally have some insights into what is going on! :)

Best wishes...InshaAllah khair :)

Anonymous said...

At least your getting answers about your son.... its been a long time coming and your getting it now. Insha'Allah it will be resolved soon

Banana Anne said...

Salaam alaikum,

That's great news to hear that you're getting answers. And I'm glad he loves eating fruits so much.

I will be praying for all of you, and Insha'Allah everything will work out.

AlabasterMuslim said...

Yayyy finally, glad you're (inshallah) getting closer to the answer. And it seems like he's a much happier baby now! Alhamdullilah

Stacy K. said...

InshaAllah you will get some good answers on the endoscopy. You need to find a way to get some calories in you so you can produce enough milk :-) Try protein shakes with coconut milk maybe?