Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wedding Reception

I know, I know...you're all dying for an update on my family and my son....

and I promise, when school slows down, I will deliver. (2 more weeks until Christmas break)!




BUT, what I'm discussing today is WEDDING RECEPTION.

Saudi wedding reception.

In Michigan.

Most likely segregated.

THIS SATURDAY.



Let us look at all of the factors making me uncomfortable:

1) I've never been to Michigan.

2) I've never been to a Muslim, well, anything really.

3) I will only know my SIL if it is, in fact, segregated.

4) I don't have any idea what one wears to these things.

You all can't help with #'s 1-3, so let's focus on #4.

What do I wear? I don't own an abaya, so I will have to be hijabified at all times, even when just with the women, I assume. Will I look out of place wearing a normal shayla at this type of event? Is a tweed skirt okay? Or would it be considered too conservative for something segregated??

My, oh my. I'm really at a loss. My husband is absolutely NO help (imagine that). He's never actually seen women at these things so I guess I can't blame him, though!

Advice, please?

4 comments:

ellen557 said...

Kudos to you for actually deciding to go, I'd be way too nervous!
Anyway... I only know about my SILs and what they wear in KSA. They go all out, seriously. Floor length dresses (like this: http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/31wrl2VvVGL._AA280_.jpg) , hair done, lots of makeup, perfume, etc etc. Then they wear an abaya over it. So if you don't have one... then you could still wear something floor length but add a little jacket (I'm sure there's a name for them) over it? Ange usually does sets like that, here's a good one: http://hegab-rehab.blogspot.com/2009/10/light-lilac.html
Are you sure you couldn't even borrow an abaya from your SIL?

I don't think wearing your hijab would be a huge problem either, it might just make it a bit harder in terms of clothes. I wonder if you couldn't wear a normal dress and then add a long jacket over it and have your shayla wrapped loosely enough that you can just take it off once you get inside?

AlabasterMuslim said...

From what i've seen, a lot of women wear VERY revealing clothing, and some stay covered up. Its just a mix and everyone is ok with it. Wear whatever you like. If its possible try to make it kind of fancy.
Good luck, this kind of stuff freaks me out!

Anonymous said...

Assalamu alaikom,
Well, the event has come and gone... How was it? Where in Michigan was it? I'm in Michigan. (I don't know anyone who got married recently, so I'm not asking cuz I think I know you or anything like that. I'm just curious!)

Nikki said...

re: eyes serene - oops! I thought I had deleted this post, lol. My husband and I actually ended up not going because he had a lot of school work and I wasn't thrilled about taking our son out in the bitter cold. I actually don't know where in Michigan...because we never made it there. :)