Contrary to popular belief, no, I do not actually care what you think about me, my life choices, or how I practice my faith.
Thank you for showing the intolerant, judgmental side of religion that we all know and love so well, though. It's good to have mixed reviews.
Becoming Muslim does not happen overnight. I studied for a long time before taking my shahada, but that does not mean I went from practicing Christian to perfect Muslim overnight.
At the moment I still mix pieces of both together quite often. I don't plan on doing this forever, nor do I try to justify my actions. If you had read carefully, you would have seen in my post on church how the practices that I used to love now sicken me.
I do not pretend to be a perfect Muslim. I knew what taking my shahada that that was only the beginning of the journey, not the end. Yes, there are others who postpone the shahada until they are "better prepared" than me. Ready to pray, ready to cover, and ready to severe ties with the church that raised them. I am not ready for all of those things. I'm working on them, of course!, but I'm not "there." I truly believe that it would be more sinful for me to not take my shahada and deny that I am Muslim even to myself rather than take my shahada knowing full well that I have a long way to go.
Am I a hypocrite? Of course. I truly believe we all are at times...that's what it means to be human. Am I a Christian for Christians and a Muslim for Muslims? No. I'm a Muslim at all times, although sometimes I don't publicly proclaim it from the rooftops (or the top of my head, haha). To be Muslim is to submit to God. It is a decision that must work from the inside and then move outwards.
I have never pretended to be at the end of my religious journey. You can judge me at my present stage as much as you'd like. That does not make you God. That does not mean you know my intentions or my heart.
How's it feel to be perfect? You must know... I think it'd be mighty lonely up on that pedestal.
4 comments:
HUGS hun. People forget that Islam was revealed in a span of 20+ years and they expect new Muslims to be on point from the moment they finish their shahada.
Don't worry, judgmental people are everywhere. I think we forget that just because we are behind the safety of a computer monitor does not mean that we will not be held accountable for the things we say to each other. Slander is slander. Whether it is done online, via the phone, skype, twitter or text message. Allah swt sees it all and we will be question about it.
do we care so little about our good deeds that we are willing to give them up by slandering/backbiting?
that is sad. I think you will know sooner or later that iman goes up and down on a daily basis and it is our duty to try to improve it. I got the message behind your earlier post.
ps. I think some of the online misunderstandings happen because of reading comprehension issues.
Don't let the haters get you down. You owe an explanation to no one. Allah knows your heart and intentions. That is sufficient. We are all on a journey to Allah, each one of us approaching Him in our own way at our own pace.
What you are doing is courages. It cannot be easy nor without pain. Allah does not want you to hurt your parents nor turn your back on them. Islam teach us to be tolerant and mindful of them. What they are going through is heartbreaking. May Allah never put us through what they are going through.
My husband's family are Jehovah's Witnesses and he was raised as one. At age 21, he was excommunicated. A few years later embraced Islam. He has lost all his family and friends. He had no one but Allah. 9 years later, his siblings still cut him off, his mum still sheds tears.
It is a difficult time for all involved, but may Allah reward you all according to your intentions, ease all your pain and hardships and grant you all patience. Inshallah with time, their hearts will soften towards you, your husband, and Islam.
well. said.
mashaAllah :-)
great post :)
Post a Comment