This is the same role my mother played in our household growing up. At times her and my father would fight because she felt like we weren't helping out enough, or we didn't appreciate what she was doing for the family. I never understood these arguments, and didn't understand how my mother could be SO upset when to me I did not see a "big deal."
As I'm sure you can guess, I have come to understand. We had a big fight on Saturday for similar reasons. I have turned into my mother, temper included. :/
There is so much to do, it's like I can never fully keep up. And then there's still all the wedding thank you's needing to be written (by ME alone of course) sitting on the desk over there. I graduated with all these high honors yada yada yada...and now I have no desire to work.
I have decided to not look for a job, since we are moving in January. Although I did turn in my name to continue to substitute teach (Allah, help me). But after just three weeks of maintaining a household, I don't even want to sub (but we could really use the money).
I don't know, spending more time with my son and seeing how much there is to do around here has made me want to put work on hold until my son (and eventually children, insha'Allah) are in school. A lot of people don't understand, thinking I've thrown my hard earned degree out the window. But my mom understands. My sister understands. And my grandmothers understand. Because they've either lived it, or reaped the benefits of having a mother who lived it. There are years ahead of me in which to work (insha'Allah), but my son is only this age for a short time, and I want to be here for him. HE is my passion, not work.
Anyway, onto piggies....as though I didn't have enough on my plate cooking and cleaning and caring for three...my husband finally got rid of the parrots as a wedding "gift" to me. (oh how I hated their squealing...especially when it woke up our son). So, hooray! no parrots! More room for all the stuff I'm moving in! No more dirty cages! No more expensive pet food! No more vacuuming 24/7!
We went to the pet store the other day. Just for fun. Just so our son could enjoy the animals.
And I, yes ME, not my husband, I went temporarily insane and bought a guinea pig.
Now I have this huge cage taking up space in our apartment, now I have to vacuum 24/7 because he throws his bedding everywhere, now I have to feed him twice a day and completely clean his cage every four days, now I have to let him exercise daily, now I have to buy not only expensive pet FOOD, but vitamins, and bedding, and toys....
Hmmm.. Me thinks I was a bit hasty in my decision.
He is precious, though. His name is Jameel and he's furry and sweet. Actually, he doesn't really like us yet, but I'm just SURE he'll end up being sweet...right? right? RIGHT?
Also, books...I'm reading a very nice book at the moment. I bought it hoping a could relate a bit. And although I'm not so much because a) the girl in the story had a background much different than mine b) she is African American (which not to sound un-pc but the African American experience is generally very unlike the Eurpoean American experience, at least the experience of the girl in the book) and c) she embraced Islam much more "abruptly" than me. But regardless, it's a fun read and I'm dying to find out what happens next. It's called "Realities of Submission" by Umm Zakiyyah.
So, that's a quick update of my "new" life. I still go to my parents quite often, because, well, because I love them, of course. It's so wonderful to finally live with my husband, though!
4 comments:
The Guinea pig will warm up to you. Make sure you hold him and that he is in a high traffic room. They take awhile to get use to people. If you feed him oranges you can buy the cheaper pet food. The expensive stuff is enfused with vitimin C. Also, the bedding made of recycled newspaper is worth the extra money, obsorbs the smell better and you only have to clean it once a week.
Had one for 2 years. They are cute, but a bit annoying >_<
Salam..
The book's great as are the other books written by Umm Zakiyyah..
enjoy =)
It's so hard and so much work to be part of a marriage! Hope you adjust quickly to your life with your husband. Communication is the key! ;)
Good for you! I have been home with Layla for almost 3yrs and am finally going to start an MA program and work. Spending time with your little one is something you will never regret!
Have fun with your guinea pig too!
Post a Comment