Friday, October 22, 2010

It's Been a Bit

For awhile I felt I was posting like crazy, and then it died down.

Weaning is making me super emotional/slightly depressed.  Does Islam say to stop breastfeeding at 2?  or can you go past that?  We're down to one feeding a day and I worry so much about him getting enough cow's milk (he doesn't like it) that it'd just be so much easier to breastfeed.

Today my husband turned 24.  For our combined birthdays my parents sent us to a Jim Brickman concert.  It was great, a had a slight panic attack when people I knew were coming at me from all sides and i was wearing hijab.  I honestly ran outside.  Out the doors and into the cold.  My husband was like, what in the world, if you're going to be this way just take it off.  I regrouped though and went back in when things looked a bit clearer.  I'm sure they saw me, but I'm rude (don't mean to be) when I'm in hijab and ignore everyone I knew "prior" for fear of judgment.  In a crowd of strangers, hijab makes me more outgoing, in a crowd of familiar faces, hijab causes me to go into complete isolation mode.

Anyway, the concert was really great.  We've listened to his music together for years and it was nice to get to share something like that with Noah away at the grandparents house!

Also, Jim Brickman is a pianist.  Most of his songs had no words, and those that did had only inspirational words or were pure love songs.  Don't bother telling me it was haram because my husband is Shi'a and believes the quality (meaning lyrics, use, etc.) of music determines whether or not it is permissible.  To me, this makes the most sense since I cannot see why an instrumental, uplifting piece of music is a bad thing.  Especially when in the Psalms of David (which are from God according to the Qur'an) often mention singing, playing the harp and other stringed instruments, etc. etc. as forms of praise and worship.

It was a good day, but now it's 2 in the morning and I have no idea why I'm still sitting here typing this.

I love you all for the sake of Allah.

Goodnight!

6 comments:

ellen557 said...

I used to be the same in hijab! Like I'd always wear sunglasses or if it was raining, I'd put the umbrella really close to my head so people I saw coming that I knew couldn't see my face, argh! it got a bit tiring though so thank God everyone knows now.

That would be so nice to share that with your husband too. In my city the only concerts are hip hop sort of things which don't work too well but it is always nice to spend time together away from the daily grind!

AlabasterMuslim said...

It must be sad, to start weaning. But alhamdullilah you don't HAVE to wean at two years old. Its just the earliest you are ALLOWED to. :)

If you find any evidence saying contrary then of course listen to it.
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/721/breast%20feeding

Stephanie said...

Salams-- I'm pretty sure 2 is th cutoff in Islam, but you needn't worry, they don't really need to drink cow's milk. Just make sure their getting a balanced diet. Actually, all my kids ate horribly when they were that age and they all turned out fine.
I've never heard of Jim Brickman but your oncert sounds fun. I personally agree with the Shia position on music. <3

Candice said...

When I read the verse on breastfeeding, it seems to me like it means that ideally we should breastfeed for 2 whole years and I think a lot of the commentary leads towards that as well... But not really sure.

Personally I breastfed her exclusively for 6 months and then introduced solids and finished weaning her at 2 years 3 months when she left for Egypt with her dad for 6 weeks. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd have continued for another while because she was still attached to breastfeeding.

Stacy K. said...

I just quit nursing Layla around 3mos ago and she turned 3 last week. Imo she definitely wasn't ready to wean at 2. I also felt like nursing still helped her to get over minor colds and infections more easily. I have read the verse in the Quran too, and I feel that it states 2 should be the minimum.

Susanne said...

Happy birthday to you and your husband! Glad you enjoyed a nice evening out. :)