So, I've finally given in to the fact that we will be moving. My husband is going on to graduate school and he's still on scholarship so...none of the schools here that he was interested in are covered. Right now it looks like as of January 2011 I'll be living 8 hours away from my family, which...sucks. If the other university ever gets back to us, we could end up 4 hours away, instead, but it's seeming more and more unlikely every day.
So, we're going to be 8 hours away in a town where neither of us know anyone. He will lose his job (obviously, you can't commute 8 hours) and I will lose mine. My mom won't be available to babysit, meaning I may not work at all because the cost of daycare would probably cancel out the pay I got from substitute teaching anyway. Daycare is $$$ pricey and subbing doesn't pay all that well. Hopefully hubby can get a job on campus. With his current visa status i think that is the only place he is allowed to work. (we are in the middle of the green card process). So, right now it looks like the only income will be hubby's scholarship living allowance. Which is geared to only one person (since technically he's not supposed to be married to me on scholarship) so we're going to be -tight- on money.
I've been looking at rental properties in the area online and it's been quite depressing. Apparently the cost of living there is a tad higher than here, so for an equivalent apartment it looks like we'll have to pay $50+ dollars more in rent a month than we pay now. We were hoping to rent a house so that we'd have storage and a yard for our son...but while we could probably afford one here, we can't afford one there. :/
My husband hates spending the money I make subbing on "needs." He thinks he should be the sole provider and I respect that, but I think I'm going to try to stop spending my money so frivolously and start saving up for the move. That first month especially is going to cost an arm and a leg...(moving truck/service, security deposit, sometimes two months rent, etc. etc. etc.)
I suppose all we can do presently (aside from saving where we can) is pray and have faith that God will provide.
My family (parents, aunts, cousins...) is freaking out. NO ONE moves away in our family. Seriously. They aren't pleased but my mom struggles to grin and then says "at least it's in the United States." 8 hours really isn't THAT bad. It's only two states over... I'm not sure if I'm trying to convince her, or myself.
3 comments:
Yes on the saving. Save as much as you possibly can. My move from NY to the midwest was for the truck and movers alone $2000. Then you have first and last month's rent. And save up for your unemployment too.
Plus side, its all very double. especially if you dont usually use your money for needs :)
No one in my family moves away either so they all freaked when I moved to NY. But they got over it, yours will too.
As salamu alaykum,
I moved 8 hours away from my family when I got married last year. It was the first time both my husband and I moved out of our parents home. We literally had to grow up over night. By the will of Allah, we got through it and couldn't be more than happy! Also, if you EVER need any help through the green card process please don't hesitate to contact me. The hubby and I have been through it and he got his green card in July! A huge weight was lifted off our shoulders because it truly is a stressful process. Do you have a lawyer or will you be doing it by yourself? We did it all by ourselves (in fact, I did ALL the paperwork) and I believe it actually HELPED us get the green card. The man who interviewed us seemed pretty surprised we did it all on our own and that I (the non immigrant) filled out all the paperwork. He said normally what he see's is either a lawyer who does it all or the immigrant doing all the work. Anyway, please contact me if you have ANY questions.
My prayers are with you and your family in this stressful time.
I wish you the best kind of move there is. May Allah make it easy on you.
Are you moving farther, or closer to me? I think it's farther but not sure :)
Post a Comment