Monday, April 18, 2011

Why I Wear Hijab (when I do...which I wish was always)

So awhile back I asked for readers to share reasons for wearing hijab that might be acceptable to agnostic and atheist friends of mine.  While I got some great responses, I still was at a loss as to what to tell my friends.  Then it dawned on me:  the truth!  So, I dug into what it means to me personally to wear hijab, and told them the truth, regardless of whether it would convince them of it's validity/change their perception.  I thought I'd share what I wrote here, because it was a real awakening for me.

I didn't mean to ignore your question! I wasn't really sure how to answer, so then I just kept putting it off. Women wear it for very different reasons. Ranging from "because God said so/it's in the Quran" to "it's nice to be identified as a Muslim" to "it's a feminist statement that makes people judge me by my intelligence rather than my body/hair..." To be completely and totally honest with you, I wear it (when I do) for a variety of reasons, some of them I'll be the first to admit are not the "right" ones. I'd like to be able to say, "I wear it because God wants me to." But, the Quran is obviously translated, and depending on which translation you read, the headscarf is either a) required b) required + covering your face is required (which most people do not believe is true) c) not required or d) not required AND doing so is actually wrong, because you are "adding" to the religion. Ugh, right? So, I wear it because I think maybe, God wants me to, and it's better to be on the safe side, right? I dunno. Sounds weak, even to me.

Another reason, this one possibly worse than the first, is (my husband)'s family. They understand that I struggle with it here in America and with my family, but they take it for granted that I believe in Quran tranlsation (a) (see above). I fear that I would come across as arrogant if I were to be like, "no, I think God actually meant (c or d)," when I am so new to the religion and they were raised that way, etc. etc. This is an AWFUL reason but it's there nonetheless. 

The third reason, and one I'm most comfortable with, is because I like it. I do. I first put it on before becoming Muslim just to go to an Islamic event with (my husband).  In my mind, all Muslim women looked the same once putting on the scarf, but when I looked in the mirror, I still saw me...and I saw myself as beautiful. Since then, I've come to see the beauty in people wearing the scarf, and the different ways they wear it and express themselves. Muslim women no longer look to me like one big scarved community. I've always enjoyed dressing feminine and am actually loving wearing maxi skirts all summer long. They're sooo comfy. I do miss capris at times, and short sleeves. Also swimming...they make Islamic swimsuits, but let's just be honest and call them ugly....I'm still trying to find a way that I can swim without uncovering and without looking ridiculous. Where there's a will....? But on the whole I do like it. When putting together an outfit in my mind now there's always a scarf that goes with it (I have way too many, kind of like shoes...). When I am with my parents and have to go without the scarf that usually accompanies my ensemble, I feel like I'm not totally put together. I also enjoy being recognized as a Muslim because I feel like I can help counter the images shown on t.v. I'm a Muslim, yes, and a covered one, yes, but I can still play with my son at the park, go to school and/or work, go bowling (and beat my husband), go here, there, and anywhere really. (aside from like, a bar, I guess, but I never went to one pre-Islam, so...not a loss). I like it when I open my mouth and shock people that a) I know English b) I am educated and c) I've got a sense of humor. 


The theology behind Islam was easier for me to accept than the dress code. I basically already believed that way, just didn't label it so. I went gradually, though, wearing only long pants/skirts the first summer (2009), to wearing only 3/4 or long sleeves last summer (2010), to hopefully wearing only long sleeves this summer (we'll see...) and I'd love to add the scarf...but, I'll be in Indiana...so....:/

Also, another +++ to wearing hijab is that I can go out in public with greasy hair and NOBODY KNOWS!!!! It is wonderful when you're short on time...




My friends responses were all very positive.  I even attached a photo of me in hijab (the one I shared on the blog recently) so they could see that I'm still very much me.  I'm glad I was so honest with them.  Sometimes I think I overwhelm them (and others) because they ask for a simple response and I go overboard.  A lot of issues are complex though and don't have straightforward answers. 

:/

4 comments:

LK said...

YAY! Im glad its working out for you.

For summer you might want to look into those cardigans with wide sleeves that float away from the body. I used those last summer and they were amazing even when it was horribly hot.

neco said...

the paragraph that begins with "the third reason...", mashallah, i second every single word. :-)

i've always been modest and enjoyed wearing long skirts and other feminine clothing, too. sometimes i feel like it's just one of the many ways god was leading me to islam. :-)

i also get a kick out of people who are noticeably startled by when they talk to me and realize that i speak english just fine, thank you very much.

we have a lot in common, i think. :-)

Muslim&Proud said...

number 3 happened for me too. i am nt more aware of how beautiful i am with or without hijab. it took covering up to find it. also it just feels cool knowing that part of my beauty is only for my hubby.

also most aesthetics, agnostics, i have come across are actually MORE accepting of islam (like understnad people choose to be one) than chirstians are. i think they believe more in the freedom of religion aspect ofour culture because they too are sometimes harassed.

The Gori Wife said...

I love your honesty and I relate to a lot of what you said here. Searching for legitimacy via headscarf -I've felt that tug too :)