Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Holy Toledo!

Wow, it's been a loooong time since I last posted.  For Ramadan I gave up my facebook games (I was a bit of an addict), and mash'Allah I have not gone back to any of them.  Anyway, since I gave up the games, though, I wasn't on the internet so much, so my blog got a bit neglected.  However, my husband got me an iPhone for my 24th birthday, so now I'm on facebook all. of. the. time.  Because it's so darn easy to pick up my phone and check.  But yeah, blogging on a phone, something I'll never try.  Even reading blogs on a phone is terribly frustrating.

So, updates, updates.  My last post was about hijab and how my parents couldn't meet my brother-in-law, etc. because they don't like me to wear hijab around the extended family.  I hoped this would push them over the hijab edge but it didn't happen.  My dad met my BIL when he surprised him at work one day, and the rest of my family never met him.  (Full-time) hijab is still on hold, it seems. I'm at the point now that I can no longer blame my reluctance on my parents.  Sure, I don't want to displease, them, bu there's also a part of me that's still uncomfortable with the idea of my more religious friends and family seeing(judging) me in hijab.  Make du'a for me that I GET OVER IT and do what is right, insha'Allah.

The 2 months with my in-laws was quite enjoyable, although sometimes we had clashing parenting views, but that's to be expected even within the same culture, so, eh.  We all learn to bite our tongue at times, lol.  My son adores them, though, so I really wish they could live closer. 

My husband's internship was a fantastic experience for him.  I visited him once in MN for about two days and he visited once for three.  Other than that we spent 3 months apart.  Our marriage has actually been a lot better following the summer apart.  Confession:  most of the arguments in our marriage begin with me.  Following his internship, I've learned to just appreciate our time together and not gripe so much.  Even when he does annoy or hurt me (unintentionally) I've been so much calmer and I know we're both feeling much more peaceful and happy at home.  Masha'Allah, alhumdullilah!  I used to badger him about stopping smoking ALL the time.  When he smoked (which is always outside and not where our son could see) I'd glare, yell, tell him he stunk, or cry.  Sometimes a combination.  He's told me that he wants to quit but it has to be for himself.  My badgering only makes him defensive and stressed and smoke more.  SO, I quit badgering.  He knows I don't approve, he knows I worry about  his health, but I don't need to throw a fit about it to get my point across.  He has shown a much more increased interest in quitting since I've calmed down.

My son will turn 3 in less than a month, insha'Allah!!  Where does the time go????  He gets smarter and funnier everyday, mash'Allah.  I love him so much.  I wasn't a very good mommy today because I'm sick and irritable, but I pray he knows I love him even when I'm frustrated.  He's so excited about his birthday coming up and it's totally contagious.  I may have more of a countdown now than he does. :)

My husband and I are both still in graduate school and will be living her until next December, insha'Allah.  After that it's Alllllll up in the air. 

The etsy idea was kind of forgotten when I didn't have it ready to "launch" in time for Ramadan (and many of my items are seasonal so...).  Now we're kind of (understatement...REALLY) lacking in the money department so I'm playing with the idea again.  I'm also thinking about going into direct sales of some kind.  I'll keep you updated on all of the business business. for sure.  I'll be annoyingly attempting to recruit customers all over the net, lol.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

LK said...

Glad to hear things are good :)