Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Have a Friend!

A real live Muslim friend, who lives in MY TOWN...not on the computer!  (And who is not my husband or an in-law.) 

She is Saudi and recently got married and then moved to the U.S.  I have been introduced to LOTS of Saudi wives.  And there is nothing wrong with Saudi's, or wives, or Saudi wives, but I've never felt comfortable to fully be me.  To say how I came to the religion, to admit that I did things in the past that are contrary to Islam, to admit that I still don't wear hijab full time, and when I mention what part of the country my husband is from, communication lines usually come crashing down (if they're Sunni).  Eastern province (i.e. Shi'a) is mentioned and suddenly there's a beat of silence, followed by a flash of Arabic with reassuring smiles that this has NOTHING to do with what I just shared.  (rolls eyes) 

Well, Friday night around 8 my husband said, "my friend is going to drop of his wife for a little bit while we go and fix his computer."  Welllll, Friday night at 8 I was already in my pajamas and planning on putting Noah to bed in an hour or so.  Frankly, not thrilled.  I told myself, well, she'll only be here for an hour or so, I'll just stay in my pj.'s and try and make the best of it.  As I wait, I start to panic, change out of my pajamas, and frantically clean the house.  8:57 rolls around, I text my husband, "Is she still coming? I'm putting Noah to bed in 3 minutes"  Response, "I think so.  Okay."  (meaning, I think she's coming, but put him to bed)  1 minute later, "She's outside.  Open the door."  So, my plan was foiled.  No jammies, son is still up, and....a woman I have never met is on my doorstep.

She stayed until almost midnight.  And aside from the fact that my son stayed up the whole time (which kills me, I'm a stickler for bedtime, but he won't sleep unless I lay with him), I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I was actually sad to see her go, even though she had ruined my planned night of laziness.  :)  You know how you meet someone, and you think, we could be friends but it'd take a lot of effort to get past acquaintance, and others are like a friend when they walk into your life?  Well, I'll call her M, she's that way.  And I'm so grateful that Allah has provided a Muslim (girl)friend in my life and in this lonely town!  Masha'Allah, we got together again tonight and insha'Allah we can be there for each other during our stay here in this close minded town away from our families and friends.  I am really so excited. 

1 comment:

Elisa said...

Yaaaaay!! This is great :) So happy for you!!