Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Interesting Article!


Here is the link.

What do you sisters think? Do you admire her for taking the initiative to see what it's like 'on the other side?' Or are you offended that she has been posing as a Muslim for a year without being a true believer?

I am ashamed to say that at first I was a little put off. Then I realized that I wore hijab out with my husband before really being interested in Islam just to see what it was like to be the minority. Now living as the minority, I almost judged those trying to better understand! I'm glad Allah allows me to see my own mistakes and prevented me from being judgmental.

8 comments:

Skye said...

wow what an amazing story... I think its great that a person of a different faith would like to see how it is wearing hijab.I know when i put on the hijab i got treated alot differently,people at shops always asking to check my bags even though they dont worry about the 10 people before me, people constantly thinking its only cause ur married.Its very interesting the way non muslims persieve the hijab.

Luz said...

Is interesting how somebody can "use other's shoes".
I liked the idea...
this works for change the wrong ideas that people haves about our faith.
Salam sis :)

Muslimah for Jannah said...

Salam Nikki, Subhanallah. I am amazed that she put herself in a muslim's shoes. I have to give her credit for that because it isnt easy!

I hope she converts to islam one day Inshallah.

Muslim&Proud said...

hmmm. the fist time i saw it i was glad she had the strength to see how a minority lived. i was also hoping maybe one day she would see the beauty of islam. i didn;t get offended cuz other christian religions cover some of their hair, just not as much. and i ave read of some christains just wanting to wear a hijab.

Luz said...

Of course, I'm completely agree...
And im very very happy hearing your reasons, but sister you are an exception! :) You have valid reasons, and LOVE exist...
Happiness and blessings for you and your husband....

Stacy K. said...

Hmm, at this point I don't fully fit into either category of Muslim or Christian, but I feel comfortable with modest dress, sometimes including hijab.
It is strange sometimes being identified as a Muslim without being one in the true sense, however I seek to please God with my life and dressing modestly is one way of doing it. I also inadvertently make good dawah for Islam because I live my life by the same standards. I don't drink, eat pork, married to one husband, etc.
Salaam!

Susanne said...

I think it's a great idea to see how Muslims live. Neat article.

Meems said...

Salam from Texas! I am new to the blogging world and just found your blog...amazing, MashaAllah. I started reading and couldn't stop...I feel like I have so much in common with you.

Thank you so much for posting this article. I didn't hear about this even though I am from Texas. I find it very brave especially here in the "Bible Belt." I think it is especially interesting to hear her say that she felt closer to God by wearing it...subhan Allah.

I wish you the best in your journey, InshaAllah khair, and hope for the best outcome between you and your family when you "come out" (lol, yeah, yeah, I know the connotation but the reaction to this act seems so much the same!).

(Btw, sorry if I posted this twice...not sure if it did as I did not get confirmation...as I said, I am new to this.)