My sister just came to me with her latest issue of Glamour or whatnot (I don't read it, lol, I think that's the one she buys, though). She was in shocked dismay as to what is the "new" style. By "new" style, I mean, yet another style that hit its peak in the 80's and died out through the 90's. Why do these horrible things keep coming back? Leggings, jeans that literally button at your belly button (and sometimes higher, shudder), acid wash jeans (acid wash anything should be outlawed)...
The newest addition to the list: shoulder pads. Because women look SO much better with broad manly shoulders! If you want to look like a football player in your shoulder pads and leggings, that's your business...but the fashion industry is not going to make a buck off of me from this fad, let me tell you.

+

=
I can only see this all heading in one direction.
Stirrup pants.
Oh. No. I just googled stirrup pants to get an image.
...turns out I missed the memo. They are ALREADY back!We had progressed so far in the past 20 years only to lose it all. If we're going to revert to clothing from decades past, why not go a little further back, say 1900? You know, when women still had class and some semblance of modesty.
PHOTO DELETED FOR PRIVACY
And yes, that's me. Age 18. Acting. I miss acting, but it seems most plays would compromise my modesty...also, my husband has forbade me to play any more "love" roles...which cuts out a lot. As in, the above play. Ah, on trial to save my "love" from the gallows. I realize I'm not wearing hijab in the picture, so thought about not posting it. But, a simple google search would bring up the same photo on the theather website, and I don't even wear hijab to university yet, so I thought I'd go ahead. When hijab is more a part of my identity and my faith I will probably come back and remove it.
Just as with all my posts, I sidetracked from the main topic in the final paragraph. My English teachers would throw a fit.
7 comments:
Yeah I saw something about leggings on some news show this morning. Hubby was saying the models all were so thin ... yeah, that's all the leggings would work on. I think leggings only look good under dresses/long tunics, not with short tops. Yuck.
What they say is fashionable is not, as far as I'm concerned.
lol u think shoulder pads are horrible...what about harem pants?!
the september 2009 issue of vogue has a whole set of pictures dedicated to the ww2 era style, and even though the pictures and styles in it are amazing i keep praying that we can actually be able to wear them. so ur right about why not going really far back to the fashions.
sadly...i'm a multi-magazine subscriber :-(
oh btw...u look so pretty!
UR so pretty!! Mashallah, no we know why your husband loves you so much (besides who you are) :D.
You wouldn't happen to be in the play Crucible would you?
@ Baji - first, thank you for the compliment, you're really too kind. :) Second, my sister and I threw a fit over haram pants, as well. The ones that are baggy at the bottom, as opposed to the top are okay. I probably wouldn't wear them, but I could respect someone who chose to. The ones baggy in the crotch area, though? ICK!!
@ AlabasterMuslim - Thank you, lol, and I hope he loves me for more than my looks!
And no, I've never been in the Crucible. This picture was from a melodrama called Deadwood Dick (yeah, I know is sounds awful). I've also been in The Sound of Music, Once Upon a Mattress, Hello, Dolly!, Love Rides the Rails, Romeo & Juliet, and Antigone. I think that's it... It's a lot of fun, but too time consuming with a baby, and as I said, I'd have to be VERY selective about which shows/roles I'd play.
It's none of your husband's business what you act in. You have a point about compromising modesty--it's not like a woman can wear hijab one day and then show up onstage in a scandalous outfit, playing an alcoholic stripper--but don't they have theatre in the KSA?!?! Doesn't DH know that just because you are pretending to be in love with someone while you are onstage doesn't mean you are actually in love with that someone.
Just saying. Hope I didn't offend you or your husband. ahh I love theatre. (:
Post a Comment