Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Too Busy

I'm still lurking on people's blogs. Reading posts, and enjoying them, of course. But with school, tutoring, and my son I really don't have time to type anything of substance. :( I've longed to reply to some thought provoking posts, but I knew that thinking through and typing my response would take too much time.

It seems like everyday's just going through the motions.

I started tutoring today. He really can't read. But yet he loves to read. That's rare, I really want to help him, though. The program the school's had him in for over two years now obviously hasn't helped much. I've got 10 weeks to make a difference in this boy's life.

He said he wanted to read about spongebob. So I ordered a spongebob phonics set as soon as I got home. I WILL teach this boy to read.



In other news, hubby and I celebrated our two year anniversary. We had agreed to not get one another gifts...I really didn't get him anything, and he got me flowers and a beautiful bracelet. Very thoughtful, but now I feel bad!

His birthday's next month. I'm going to make him yummy food and a jell-o cake. I have had the misfortune of finding out that jell-o brand jell-o is not halal. :( So I just ordered a case of kosher (vegetarian) jello (kojel) off of amazon. 24 boxes, lol. It'll take me years to go through...

4 comments:

AlabasterMuslim said...

Inshallah you can help the boy read :D
awww and congrattssss its your two year anniversary alhamdullilah that is so great. May you have many more, ameen!!
picture of the bracelet??

Bahlool said...

Salam Alaykum
I think we men dont care as much for gifts, but we appreciate that our women show us that they agnowledge us and are happy to get our gifts.
Whats the reason for it not beeing halal?

Nikki said...

@AlabasterMuslim - Shukrun! I, too, hope I can make a difference for this young boy. If I can remember to take a picture of the bracelet, and then find time to upload it, I will. I'm so scatterbrained right now, though, that I'm not making any promises!

@Bahlool - I'm sure you are right. He's never shown much interest in gifts. He would much rather have my time (and my food) lol.

To my understanding, Jell-o brand jello is apparently not halal because the gelatin used in it can be from the bones/hooves of pigs. Some people think this is a myth, but to be on the safe side I bought Kojel, which uses gelatin made from seaweed. I'm not really sure how Muslims in general are treating this matter, because I know many Muslims who strictly adhere to halal only foods who do not hesitate to eat jell-o, marshmallows, etc. (all things with gelatin) I think maybe they're just used to everything in their home countries being halal, so they don't realize that something seemingly innocent like marshmallows can contain meat/pork products.

Bahlool said...

Well when it comes to gelatin its a matter of who you follow as your mujtahid (if your a shia). Some of them (as Sistani) have certain rules, that make some gelatin from animals go through the chemical process and that makes them halal.
I am not sure about this jello but if you have other things its better to take them.