The upper GI scheduled for Thursday morning was a flop, because my son wouldn't drink the barium.
I'm not surprised. The radiologist was a joke, though. He's probably a great radiologist, but he doesn't know squat about children. My son hadn't eaten for 4 hours because they wanted him to be hungry...he still wouldn't take a bottle full of barium, though. The radiologist blamed it on me not making him hungry enough. He told me I should have not let him eat for 8 HOURS. Sure, an 11 month old that eats every three hours, I'll starve him for 8 hours and then feed him barium.
Please. I explained, he's plenty hungry, but he won't even take apple juice out of a bottle, why in the world would he take barium?! The man continued to be an imbecile, complaining about my uncooperative son.
The nurse asked if we could add flavoring to try to get him to drink it...the radiologist's response: "Baby's don't taste until they're 2."
WHAT!?
So, as I said, upper GI was a flop. They asked me to reschedule and I said, no thanks, we're going to Riley Children's. Only I probably didn't say it very nicely...The pediatrician appointment that afternoon went, um, not well. He told us to just keep trying to feed him different foods. We told him, then we'll be back in the hospital. We gave him a highlighted printout on FPIES, the condition we believe my son to have. He barely glanced at it and said, "I've never heard of it," completely dismissing it! Arrogance is not a good quality to have as a doctor, let me tell you... Because you haven't heard of it, it doesn't exist????
Sooo angry.
He finally realized we disagreed with everything he was saying and said, "We'll let Riley deal with it."
THANK YOU. That's what we came for in the first place, a referral, my gosh was that so hard??
So, we've got an appointment at Riley Children's Hospital in about 2 weeks with a pediatric gastroenterologist. Hopefully he will either know what we're talking about or know where to send us.
Why do you have to go through so many hoops to get anything done in this ridiculous healthcare system?
7 comments:
Gaaaah that sounds so frustrating! I really hope this new specialist is able to at the very least identify what the problem is. I can't believe that so many people have dismissed him as just having normal eating problems :(
Babies can't taste until they're 2?! What an idiot. It actually makes me a lot angrier than you can tell on here. Some people shouldn't work with children. Keeping him from nursing for 8 hours would be cruel and abusive and I can almost guarantee that he still wouldn't have drank the Barium. He would have just been more upset that was all he was being offered. Keep your head up Nikki I'm praying for him and you ;-)
At least he has been referred and thats the important thing... They are a lot more specialist and the equipment and techniques are suitable for even premature children. They will at least be a lot more tactful, and will also be able to give you the support you need as a mom.
We all keep you and your family in our prayers.
I'm so sorry for your struggles in dealing with your son's health and the healthcare system. I know it's frustrating when you want answers. Hugs to you all.
babies don't taste until they are 2?
what a load of bull, babies are able to taste when they are in the belly!
Don't let the doctors make you doubt yourself ok. Just follow your gut instinct. If the doctors find a reason other than FPIES then good...but if it is FPIES then thank god you kept mentioning it.
How frustrating!! Keep pushing about it... And I'm sure you'll have a much better experience with a children's hospital.
OMG, that IS ridiculous and shows just how much this country is in real need of a better healthcare system...
My prayers are with you and yours. InshaAllah you will find out what is wrong. Keep speaking up. InshaAllah you will have better results with a children's hospital--we did with my daughter's milk allergy. They called us back at 3 a.m. after sending us home to readmit her as soon as they got back results of blood in her stool and infection and would not let her go until they found out what was wrong. I am sorry he had to go through all those tests and sorry you had to experience that. I definitely feel for you. They sent me out of the room for her spinal tap. I cried my eyes out as her screams pierced through the closed doors. She ended up really out of it and pale as a result of all the tests (x-rays, blood tests, etc.). I really feel for you and pray that InshaAllah you will get healthy results soon...*hug* :)
Post a Comment