Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Anyone more fashion forward than me?

So, my cousin has been so kind as to select a separate bridesmaid dress pour moi, due to my desire for modesty.

The other girls are wearing the dress shown here:


And I will be wearing this dress:

I LOVE that it has a higher neckline.  At this point I probably won't be wearing hijab at the wedding, unless things drastically change before August.  So I appreciate that it's not strapless because even with a jacket you still have your whole chest out.

Anyway, I love the high neckline...BUT I don't know what type of formal jacket would look nice with that neckline?  I feel like the traditional bolero with that neckline would just be overkill.  It's August and outside, so I don't want anything too hot.  If it was more casual, I'd just wear a nice knit cardigan, but it's a wedding, and for some reason knit cardigan is not screaming wedding.

Any ideas? 

10 comments:

LK said...

YOu can actually find short cardigans that would look lovely with this and still be formal. Id suggest that because it will be light weight.

Houda said...

I saw a woman at a wedding I went to recently who had put a georgette scarf over her shoulders but under her dress. Her back and shoulders wer covered as well as her arms to her elbows.

My sisters have done this but with the scarf over the dress, and they spent the whole night trying to keep it in place. If I find a photo I will show you if you like!

Gorgeous dress

Houda said...

alternatively, a chiffon capelet. :-) they are everywhere it seems!

Nikki said...

Thanks, ladies. You both prompted extensive internet searches, lol. There are some lovely capelets out there, but the good looking ones seem to be pricey. :(

After browsing for as long as I could handle, lol, I think I'm going to see how large the shawls that the bridal store has for sale are. If they offer enough coverage, I'll purchase one so that it's a guaranteed match with the dress. If they don't cover enough of my arms, I'll probably purchase a large formal pashmina. I looked through my closet thinking surely I'd have something seeing as how I only wear shawl/pashmina hijabs, but mine are almost all from Wal-Mart, lol, and while I manage to make them look good on my head, on my arms they just look cheap.

Her colors are that malibu blue shown in the pictures and gold. If I can find a beautiful gold pashmina I think I'll be happy. :)

LK said...

I used a gold pashmina at a wedding for just such a purpose not too long ago and it worked out really well. The scarves they sell on the streets in NY seem to be the perfect size but unfortunately I can't think of an online store that sells them. The scarves that come with Shalwar Kameez work great too.

Muslim&Proud said...

i am nost good at fashion lol.

but do remember ramadan is during august this year. so you may have to fast depending on when her wedding is.

Nikki said...

It's too bad I won't be on the streets on NY anytime soon, lol. I've never even been to NY. :)

And thanks for the reminder about Ramadan, I always seem to forget that it starts earlier every year. The wedding is the 13th so it will be Ramadan, however, I'll have to check into it to make sure but I think I'll be considered a traveler. For one thing, I now live 4-5 hours from my hometown, and the wedding is an additional 45 minutes from there. I'm not sure, though, my husband says your hometown doesn't count as traveling, if you're going specifically for an event and not an extended stay though, it seems funny to not count it.

Oh well, as I said, I'll look into it. It's good to have a heads up.

Also, though, since her food obviously won't be halal, fasting's a nice excuse to not eat. People seem more accepting of fasting than of me not eating non zabiha meat. Funny, that they make a distinction, but they do.

Nikki said...

@ Houda - I'm not sure how she had her scarf under her dress but not looking awkward? Do you have a picture of her wearing it?

Dust n Roses said...

LOVE IT! love it more than the regular brides maid's desses, seriously! I had this SAME issue last summer, I needed the same amount of coverage so it's a topic i've thought a lot about. Since your dress, like mine, has decent coverage with the neckline, you really just need to get good arm coverage. Something like this i think would be perfect: http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-THIN-SLEEVE-SWEATER-SHRUG/dp/B002OIHCHU/ref=sr_1_28?s=apparel&qlEnable=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1299409156&sr=1-28

It's exactly the type of thing I wore and it was perfect (though on the inside I did add some safety pins to keep it in place).

This one is quite elegant looking, although cotton, which is more breathable in the heat but the fabric might clash with your dress:http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=25781&vid=1&pid=815410&scid=815410022


you could also go for this style too, also more secure but then you loose the beautiful neck line: hhttp://www.amazon.com/Lipstik-Girls-Black-Sequin-Shrug/dp/B0047EHRJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qlEnable=1&qid=1299409511&sr=1-1&searchContext=B0047EHRJ2,B004BR1XH2,B004CJ8EY4,B00438R6KM,B003I7E4CM,B001PYUL72,B001PYVH9S,B0047EJK9W,B002NR5OIQ,B0042TY37G

GOOD LUCK!

Nikki said...

Dust in roses - THANK YOU! I loved the first link so much that I did a quick search for one in gold (that is the color she has specified) and quickly found one that is inexpensive and looks just perfect.

I had previously been content with the idea of a shawl, however I was quite concerned with keeping it in place through the whole ceremony/reception. I would have felt so constricted in my movements, I'm sure. This will allow me to move like a normal person hopefully, lol!

Also, on the chance that, insha'Allah, I AM wearing hijab by August (it will be Ramadan so maybe I will have a burst of iman)I knew a shawl on my arms would probably look pretty silly with a shawl on my head. A shrug allows me to have more flexibility with my hair or scarf style.

Thanks again! I had truly resigned myself to an awkward shawl but I think you've provided the solution. :)