Monday, September 14, 2009

Doctor Tomorrow

My son has a food problem.

Vomiting.

Vomiting.

Vomiting.

The first couple times you assume it's a stomach bug. But one day a week (w/4 or5 vomits) is just too frequent.

Then I noticed a pattern. He always throws up about 2.5 hours after eating oatmeal.

Cut oatmeal out of his diet.

Today. Corn. First time.

2.5 hours later.....

vomit.

And 3 times since then.

I, of course, started my 'online diagnosis.' I think he has FPIES. Which would put a fairly significant limit on what he can eat.

Tomorrow we'll see what the dr. has to say. My proper 'online diagnoses' rating is probably about 50% accuracy.

Seeing him so weak and limp makes me want to cry. I feel so helpless.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam sister.

It may be just a reaction to something like gluten. This can just come or go. I have a close friend I grew up with, she used to have a kit-kat with her lunchbox. She would get ill 2 days later... sickness etc. then a couple of years later she could eat gluten again.

I, myself, have a problem with food... I find myself having serious stomach cramps after a lot of milk. I was told that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome... Milk just aggravates it. Apart from stomach cramps it can cause sickness etc. Maybe its something like that.

Sometimes it may also be due to a type of chemical that has been sprayed on a crop that can cause problems... Maybe an organic option may be available.

I am sure that your son will be fine! positive thinking can have positive results.

maybe something external is a problem. For example a certain day at school is a problem. My cousin did it at a young age (4) when she was having problems at school and struggled to read. It would be a certain day a week where she got herself so worked up about school and reading she would end up ill... sickness etc.

I hope he is better soon and the doctor can give you a good answer in the morning.

Take care
Liz x

Susanne said...

I'm so sorry! It sounds like an allergy perhaps. ((HUGS!))

Stacy K. said...

How old is he again? 8 mo? My la leche league leader did say that some babies aren't really ready for solids until about 1yr (most are by about 6mo). It would be really hard for you being in school and all, but maybe you may just have to hold off a few more mos to introduce much in the way of food.

AlabasterMuslim said...

Salaamu Alaikum,
Inshallah all it is is an allergy that can be taken care of...Inshallah its nothing too serious. Please tell us what the doctor says, and of course keep an extra close on him after the doctor diagnosis him because even doctors can be wrong.

Nikki said...

stacy - He's 10 months old now. It's going so fast! With our current eating situation, though, I'm thinking he won't even get to (or want to) dig into cake at his first birthday party. :/ As you addressed in your comment on my newest post, I am in school and don't know what to do. Next semester I'm student teaching so I'll be away even more often. Insha'Allah we'll not still be dealing with this then...but I obviously don't know if that'll be the case. Last semester I pumped every day on my lunch break, but I don't have a lunch break this semester. I have class for 4 hours straight. I feed my son right before I leave, 3 hours later my mom (attempts) to feed him food, and then when I get home I feed him again. I not only don't have time to pump, I don't even know that I have enough milk to pump anymore with how often/much he eats. Regardless of my doubts, I have pumped for him a number of times this semester and he seems uninterested in the breast milk from a bottle. We didn't use to have this problem. His eating habits have completely changed. I sometimes wonder if I spoiled him over the summer by mainly breastfeeding and only occasionally giving him solids or a bottle. I think we're going to try for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.