Saturday, July 31, 2010

Costochondritis

Dreadful condition.  When the doctor diagnosed me (over a year ago) he said, oh it shouldn't take more than 10 days to clear up.  Hmph.  It's still here.  And at it's worst this week.

So, if you're totally confused.  Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage connecting your ribcage to your sternum.  It's painful.  I went to the doctor because it felt like I was having a heart attack multiple nights in a row.  On and off for over a year now it comes back.  This week it's mainly breathing that I'm having trouble with.  When I prostrate in prayer I feel like my chest is crushing in on itself and I come up out of breath.  When I just carried my 27 lb. son up the apartment steps (asleep so totally dead weight) I thought I might collapse while trying to find my key.

Don't take breathing for granted.  In a week or two it will clear up without me noticing (insha'Allah).  I'll totally forget about it and the pain.  And then it'll come back again.   And when it's back (like now) I start to wonder if it ever went away in the first place or if I just wasn't "looking for it" like I am now. 

I'm crazy.  And in pain.  I bet that stupid air mattress is making it worse. 

(FIL has the real bed for 1 more week) 

And if you're totally curious.  Things with my father in law are going well.  If you asked me after that first week, I would've sounded much more cynical, hence, the lack of posts.  I don't like to type things I'll regret.  He's a really nice guy and a WONDERFUL grandfather. 

Parenting advice is just sometimes unwelcome, you know?

3 comments:

Muslimah for Jannah said...

Asalamu alaikum sister,

May Allah swt reward you for being patient through this Insha'Allah Ameen.

Some time ago, I found a lump under my arm pit and only god knows what it could have been but I kept making dua for it to go away. So i went to the doctor, I took some antibiotics and it went away. Just keep asking Allah swt to cure you and Insha'Allah it will be cured.

You seem like a good person Insha'allah :)

LK said...

Oh I know that feeling...my asthma likes to give me that. I've never neglected the ability to breathe after I got asthma.

If prostrating hurts try doing so on a higher surface like a table. that usually doesn't put so much pressure on the ribs. and you aren't folding all the way, just bowing a little which should help. I did this when I hurt my back, worked great. I also find that sleeping sitting up helps with breathing. Just make a big pile of pillows behind you so you are slightly elevated. Opens the airways up. I've also tried sleeping practically sitting up on the couch using the big couch pillows to support me...this actually works!

Praying you feel better dear :)

Susanne said...

I hope you are feeling better now. I think I had that before, but not so painful as you describe. Glad things are going well with the FIL.:)