Yesterday was considered a "holiday" since the 4th of July fell on Sunday, so hubby didn't have to work. We went out of town to eat at our favorite Turkish restaurant and go to a lake. Mash'Allah, after eating we were driving toward the lake when we received a phone call. It was my BIL, (husband's sister's husband, get it?) telling us he and his family were right behind us on the road headed for the same place.
It was an unexpected, yet nice, surprise. As I mentioned in a previous post, my SIL is currently stuck in the kingdom until Thursday, insha'Allah she gets here safely. I wish she had been with us too, but my BIL's parents are visiting from KSA as well as his sister. It was my first time meeting her and she was very very nice mash'Allah. Unfortunately I can't really pronounce her name, but...maybe in time.
It was SO hot and everyone at the beach was wearing not much of anything, of course. I chose to wear an abaya (which I don't usually do) due to the heat hoping that it would keep me cooler by allowing more air flow. It was black (it's my only one, my MIL sent it from KSA) but yet it did keep me fairly cool. My BIL's sister, poor thing, of course was not wearing an abaya, because she has to wear one every day back home and was probably enjoying having the freedom to choose her clothing. That's all well and good, but you have to choose very wisely in the summer. She had on a black long sleeved undershirt (so the sleeves were fairly tight, i.e. HOT) a white short sleeved shirtdress, and black jeans, black hijab, and black shoes. I might wear this combination in the summer only if I know I'm going straight from air conditioning to air conditioning, not on an outdoor outing, though. We went out on a boat and I thought the breeze made it feel quite comfortable. She got used to it once we started moving but initially she was fanning herself saying "sun, sun" in Arabic (shams, shams).
This abayat outing has made me want to own a couple more, in lighter colors. If even the black one offered more relief from the heat than my maxi skirts or tunics and jeans, then I can only imagine the comfort a khaki colored one would offer.
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you're looking at it) I did break down and buy two maxi skirts from Old Navy. I'm feeling a bit guilty and don't really want to put out the money for an abaya right now. There's four at East Essence (all inexpensive) that I'd love to have, but I'll probably, insha'Allah, wait until I feel a bit better about my finances.
I've always enjoyed shopping, but since I've been dressing modestly it's become a bigger problem, I think. I think this is because when I see something hijab friendly I feel I am so lucky to find such an item that I MUST BUY IT. Where, when I dressed like the masses, there wasn't such an urgency because I could find clothes anywhere at anytime for any occasion. Now I can't just go to the mall expecting to find something nice to wear to this or that, so I try and be "prepared" for future invitations.
I'm ridiculous.
Anybody else loving abayas this summer?
9 comments:
I loooove abayas for summer. But I think the black Saudi ones work best for me, more so because they tend to be that really light shiny fabric instead of a heavier coloured material if that makes sense?
The East Essence ones are a good price. I never actually bought anything from there but they had a couple for $20! Thats kind of a crazy price. I know the one abaya I own was like $70. I understand your buying spree when you find nice modest clothing. You do get quite excited and want to buy a bunch cause its so hard to find stuff. Especially in the summer.
You and your skirts haha Enjoy them.
I am actually planning to buy one (or more?) quite soon. And make some too. I even have material for a cold-weather one (essential where I live). I am crazy about the bisht style myself :D
I am actually planning to buy one (or more?) quite soon. And make some too. I even have material for a cold-weather one (essential where I live). I am crazy about the bisht style myself :D
Mashallah, what a cute blog sis, I came across your blog by chance...Inshallah i will be sure to add you to my list:) I love abaya's Alhamdulilah i dont have to worry about buying any since my mum always buys me some when she goes abroad:)
It has been hot here the past few days too. I have been wearing cotton skirts with a huge sarong covering my upper torso with a short sleeved shirt or even a tank top underneath. You just have to learn the trick to keeping the sarong in place with your arm!
Yep, love mine. But I normally end up using mine for prayers!
Hey, my e-mail address is cinderellahijabi@gmail.com
I'm pretty much open to any avenue as long as the dude is ready and willing to call the Logan Islamic Center and speak to my Imam. The Imam is my Wali.
Abayahs make me trip and fall. That's all I have to say.
@ luxury - you have a point. I can go down stairs, but walking up them, especially if I'm carrying my son and he's blocking my view of my feet can sometimes be quite dangerous!
Also, it's a saudi abaya so it buttons all the way down...I apparently don't bend down gracefully enough or something because my buttons are always popping open. :/
Post a Comment