So, my SIL was supposed to come back home to the U.S. (she lives here with her husband who is in school, she's studying English, as well) about a week ago. She was going to fly with her inlaws so that she didn't have to fly alone with her 1 year old daughter. Her husband flew to KSA with her, but left a week later because he had summer courses at school.
So, when he left, he forgot something important, it seems. He forgot to give her a letter, granting her permission to fly back to the USA.
It makes me sick that something like that is even required. It makes even less sense when you think it through and realize a) she was with HIS PARENTS b) HE was already in the U.S.! she was coming back to be with HIM and c) her dad was there to vouch for her/grant her permission (not that a 21 year old should need it) as well. The whole permission for women is a load of crap if you ask me, but, I would think that at least one of the above three things in her favor would have gotten her on that plane.
She missed her flight. Her in-laws are here and she is not. Her husband faxed her the paper, so now she's been trying to book flights again.
On MONDAY, my husband told me that his father was flying over with his sister so that she wouldn't be alone. My SIL already has her MIL, FIL, and SIL staying in her three bedroom apartment with her, her husband, and their daughter, so my FIL would be staying with US.
Okay, extended houseguest, while we're still getting used to living together, that's cool. When?
THURSDAY. They were planning on coming THURSDAY. So, my SIL again, had a ticket, but my FIL was on a list for if one became available, and one didn't. For that reason, they both changed their flight and were going to arrive SATURDAY (i.e. TOMORROW). I've been going crazy cleaning and hiding contraband...(kidding, kidding...kind of)...worrying about cooking, getting stuff together for my husband and I to sleep on the floor of our son's room....
And then tonight, my husband gets a call. He laughs and laughs. And tells me he has a "funny story." My poor SIL was sent home from the airport again. Not for the permission problem again, but their ticket reservations were lost. I don't find it funny like my husband does, although I do feel guilty for being relieved that I have more time before I have to host my first house guest.
I've only ever met my FIL via skype. My husband works M-F, and is starting class 1h 30 min away on Tues. and Thurs. nights soon. That means a LOT of quality time with FIL. He's very religious, and from an older generation. This means I'm worried that my Islam won't hold up under scrutiny, and my housekeeping/cooking/parenting won't either.
5 comments:
You'll be ok hon. Honestly, just pray LOL There isn't much else you can do. Be confident in who you are. I'm sure he will like you :)
actually i found that out when i was looking in to my husband working there. he would even need to give me permission to leave even though neither of us are saudi!
and don't worry to much about the religious thing. if he's like my MIL (who's also super religious) he'll love you just for converting and trying our hardest.
i haven't met my FIL either except though yahoo chat. i'll be meeting him in aug isA
and don't worry about making him saudi food. i think you should introduct him to some american food. that's one of my main thoughts on traveling, try the local cuisine, if you're not then you're not really traveling.
How fun! :) I was LOL at you hiding contraband. Cute. You'll do fine!
That's wonderful about your FIL possibly coming! He will love you, don't worry. My FIL is very conservative but seemed to think of me as a novelty almost, which is definitely better than awkward silences lol.
Ah! Omg I'd be so nervous if I was in your position, lol. But if he is as religious as you say he'll understand that you are a new muslim and still growing as one :). Just do things as you normally would otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy lol.
But Mashallah, you are a great DIL. Hiding the contraband was very thoughtful ha ha.
Post a Comment