Saturday, July 3, 2010

Maxi Skirts

I love love love maxi skirts.  They are awesome in the summer, SO much cooler than jeans that stick to your legs.  Also, I can wear them to teach (teachers here cannot wear jeans) so it feels "better" to buy something that I know I'll get more use out of. 

How many maxi skirts...is too many maxi skirts, though?  I have around 14...and I fear buying anymore would be overkill...BUT they have the MOST GORGEOUS skirt ever at Old Navy right now.  And it's on my mind.  I know it was on sale a few weeks ago, though, which makes me hesitate.  Now it's $30.  I know, inexpensive, right?  Not for me...out of those 14 skirts, probably 3 of them were over $20.  $15 is my standard maxi price while I did pay a ridiculous $50 for my tweed maxi.  I bought it for job interviews and such, though, so it's not such a waste. 

While on the topic of skirts, I was looking for a long jean skirt to love for months.  I ordered one from Christa Taylor ($55) that looked cute on the website.  On me it just looked like a sack, though.  I returned it, and eventually East Essence put a nice one up on their site.  I ordered the smallest size (prob around $30) and it's still way too big in the hips and too long.  So, I finally got my skirt, but it's been hanging in the closet since it's arrival in April.  I hate to pay more to have it altered, but I can't sew and my mum's not exceptional at it (i.e. a lot of pants she hemmed for me back in the day I was later a bit embarrassed to wear...they'd go from too long to too short :/ )

So, my maxi wearing ladies, how many skirts do you own?  What's the most you've spent?  The least?  Have you ever bought the same style in multiple colors? AND how many have you ever bought at once?

I have yet to buy the same color in multiple styles, but some of mine are rather similar.  I'm thinking about buying the Old Navy one in both grey/teal and black/pink, which is why I'm asking if that's acceptable.  I think the most I've ever bought at once is two.  Burlington Coat Factory always has a large selection in the summer and I'm lucky to narrow it down to two, especially with $15 prices.

I would wear maxi's everyday if I could.  But my parents somehow equate that as more conservative than jeans and a tunic, and I think at times it makes them uncomfortable.  I wish they'd look back and realize it's ALWAYS been my preference.  In elementary school, I wore long dresses even on PE day.  5th grade awards program you have pictures of all my classmates in jeans and me in a long blue dress.  I've always had a tendency to dress more feminine than the masses.  It's just now that there's religion involved, it's not seen as me being an individual, but me giving up my individuality.  ugh

3 comments:

LK said...

thats a lot of skirts LOL But I own too many long dresses so I cant talk. But I think I have 9 but only 4 can be used once the summer is over. So comfy though.

I use to buy stuff just because it is on sale. You have to watch that. You'll end up with WAY too many clothes. I've been cleaning out my apt and its insane all the stuff I dont wear simply bought because it was on sale. Id rather spend money on 2 or 3 quality items than money on 15 not so great pieces because they were on sale.

Nikki said...

ooo, I know it's a lot of skirts but that wasn't what I was hoping to hear, lol. I was hoping someone comment, "oh, I have 52..." or something so I wouldn't feel guilty buying another!

I only have one maxi dress. I'm short (5'2") yet have a moderate bust (I am a breastfeeding mother) so they usually just don't work on me. I can't wear a small because of my chest but anything else is about a foot too long, lol.

With that said, I LOVE the one I have. I think it seems much dressier (with a cardigan) for weddings and such than a skirt and shirt.

And sales are my downfall. I rarely buy anything full price...which seems frugal at the moment, until I realize I buy SO MANY sale items that I spend more than I was planning. When I moved into my husbands apartment I donated/garage sold a lot of clothes because they just wouldn't fit in the closet.

Anonymous said...

What do you wear on top? I want to wear more dress-type things but I can never figure out how to make things more modest.
Also, what kind of shoes do you wear with those dresses?

Have you checked out Shukronline.com? I saw a tencel denim/jean skirt in the clearance section for $34.95 (normally $69.95)....and a tencel denim gored skirt for $27.95 (normally $69.96) ...