Friday, August 20, 2010

and it's Ramadan of all months

So, I may or may not have posted previously about photos of me off of facebook being used for slander.


But, yes, years ago, when still Christian, I had all sorts of photos up on facebook, some of me in bikinis, some of me with boys, and on and on.  My husband and I were already together at this point, but, being a western Christian not real into modesty, I didn't see any reason to "clean up" my photos.

Some Saudi "friends" took these photos to spread crap around the kingdom about me and my husband and our relationship.

This is part of the reason my facebook was deactivated until just recently.

So, as those of you following know, my husband and I had a legal wedding ceremony in June.  We hired a photographer.  Our photographer posts her photos in an online password protected gallery so that you can purchase them at your leisure. 

SO, we were shocked to be told today, that some (unnamed, I think they're protecting him) man from and still living in Saudi Arabia had access to these photos and was spreading slander about us and our relationship.

1) I am not wearing hijab in any of the photos, so to have them circling around KSA is not a good thing.
2) We are kissing in one of the photos, like, a "you may now kiss the bride" kiss.  My husband would NEVER kiss me on the lips in front of anyone, even his parents, even just a peck.  It's culture, so this is a big deal to them.  So this photo is being used maliciously.  The un-named man showed it to my husband's father taunting him "THIS, is your SON."  Which I translate to mean... "see what an immoral, worthless beast you've raised." 

We were stumped as to how he gained access to these photos.  But then some more information leaked, he googled OUR NAMES.  This man.  took the time. to. GOOGLE. our. names.  Do you see something wrong here?  Apparently, our photographer has a wordpress blog, and when you google our names her post of a summary of our photos comes up (it's not all the photos, thank goodness, not that their scandalous by my standards).  I had never even seen this website.  I have never even thought to google our names. Yet some random Saudi man is super interested in our personal lives?

I. am. p*****.  His intentions were obviously just to make trouble.  Who DOES that?  Especially during Ramadan?  You think he'd have better things to worry about than ruining someone else's reputation or status.

I e-mailed the photographer apologetically asking her to password protect or delete any posts with photos of us.  It's her business, so I feel a bit guilty.  I don't want her to think I'm ashamed of the work she did for us. 

UGH.  I'm trying to calm down but I just can't wrap my head around what kind of person would do this to us.

12 comments:

Banana Anne said...

Astaghfirullah, Astaghfirullah, Astaghfirullah. If this man's intentions really were just to make trouble and spread fitnah, then I hope he realizes that he has committed a great sin towards his fellow Muslims, especially during this Holy Month. And I am so, so sorry that this happened to you.

Wafa said...

Only a sick person would do this.
I didn't realize that your husband is Saudi.but i guess now i understand your frustration.Maybe you need to talk to your father-in-law or your husbands do that and expalin it all. and i guess the photographer should of have asked before posting your pictures.Maybe you should ask her to delete them all if the trouble is continue.
as for that stupid, he is going to have his punishment from Allah sooner or later.

ellen557 said...

I'm so sorry for that sis! It's really disgusting but there are Saudi men like that, we have had a few similar episodes (in terms of men going to my father in law) and it just disgusts me. Do they not have anything better to do than sit there, googling your name?
Eugh. AstagfirAllah.
Also, I have asked my photographer to not show my photos on the website at all and she said that it was okay, but that she may take them to appointments sometimes to give examples which I said was fine so don't worry about the photographer, in the end it's you in the photos so it's your decision what happens with them inshaAllah.

Jaz said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. But you know in the end God is the judge of us all. This guy is slandering you, and in Ramadan too!

Nikki said...

Alhumdullilah the photographer deleted all posts with any photos of us within a half hour of me e-mailing her. She was very understanding and even apologized for posting one of us kissing (since we had talked about how culturally that was a very private thing...meaning we assumed those particular photos at least would just be seen by us).

Unfortunately photos on her blog can be right clicked and saved...which the man might have already done prior to the post being deleted. I've done all I can, though, to fix the situation.

The thing is, my husband's parents KNEW all about the wedding anyway, we even ordered them an 8x10 photo which they already have, although we definitely aren't kissing in it. It just feels so funny to have to defend yourself for kissing your husband...?

jazain said...

wow! this is why we are always warned that what we post on the net can come back to haunt us. how sad that man had nothing else to do then to try to mar your reputation. who we were before islam is totally wiped away once we say shahada and we are cleaner than most muslims at that point! maybe someone needs to remind this fitnah stirrer of that.

this too will pass sister. we go through such big trials in life. and this too will be a memory one day.

.::Tuttie::. said...

people really do chase after hellfire like its nobody's business. AstaghfirAllah.

the translation may be off but here is what I mean
RasulAllah (saw) said: “I take hold of the knots at your waist (belt) to prevent you from falling into the fire, but you insist on falling into it like flies.” (Bukhari and Muslim)


May Allah swt protect your marriage from the naysayers, their bad du'as and their evil intentions. AMEEN. May He swt increase the love between you and your husband and bring harmony to your relationship with your in laws. AMEEN.

Jaz said...

I guess you just have to take care. There're always going to be bad people so all you can really do is protect yourself. Obviously you shouldn't have to but if you do move to a place like Saudi (not just Saudi, any conservative situation) then it's probably best to take down anything on Facebook that could be used against you. Shouldn't be this way but unfortunately it is.

Jaz said...

Wait - you don't live in Saudi Arabia? Okay I take it back. The world has gone mad!

ellen557 said...

Stuff them, Nikki, in the end this guy is just trying to cause trouble and if your in laws are above that then he'll go away quietly. If it comes down to it, don't defend the kiss at all. It's between you and your husband and your in laws will know that.

LK said...

Wow doesn't this man have anything better to do?! I can't believe some people. Its not like you did anything wrong even! Uh the nerve.

Stay strong dear. This to shall pass.

Candice said...

Wow, that's crazy! What a loser!