through my first day of fasting this Ramadan! Alhumdullilah!
First off, a belated Ramadan Mubarak to all my lovely fasting friends!
Mash'Allah, this year fasting has not been the tremendous hardship that it was last year for me, even though it is earlier in the summer (i.e. looonger). I woke myself up at 5 in the morning so that I could eat prior to fajr at 5:40. My husband does not get up and eat suhoor...I didn't last year and barely made it through the day so I'm going to try to consistently get up and at least drink a whole bottle of water. I'm still breastfeeding 5-7 times during the day and 1-2 times at night so dehydration is a real possibility for me.
Anyway, I ate my suhoor of 3 slices of leftover pizza, and a loooot of water. I went back to bed until 9-ish. Took a nap with my son from 12-2, and have been up PRODUCTIVELY ever since! Last year I truly only had the energy to lay around, and felt faint quite often, I'm only now feeling a bit lightheaded and iftar is in 15 minutes at 9:00 p.m.
Alhumdullilah things are going better for me this year. I hope my milk supply stays up and I can continue to fast all of Ramadan!
9 comments:
As Salaamu Alaikum & Ramadan Mubarak!
This is my first Ramadan, so I'm not sure what all to expect. Yesterday was my first day fasting...and alhamdulillah, I made it through. Today, though I feel sluggish...and earlier I was nauseated and light headed. Do you have any pointers on how to avoid a repeat of today?
Ramadan Kareem!
Dehydration is definitely the biggest problem in Ramadan. Drinking tons of water for your suhoor is totally the way to go. I think if you keep up with that consistently you should be ok. Naps during the day definitely help too!
Irendi-I wish I had tons of advice for you, but this is only my second Ramadan, and last year I fasted about 4 or 5 days out of the whole month because I was breastfeeding and my supply was dwindling, so...any advice I give has not been adequately tested. :)
With that being said, I noticed a huge difference between no suhoor (last year) a suhoor of cereal (last year) and a substantial suhoor with a real focus on water (today). I went to bed around 1:30 last night so was dreading getting up at 5 to eat. I also knew the pizza wouldn't sound very good at 5 but knew I needed to eat anyway. I dragged myself out of bed, drank about half a bottle of water, and then downed two slices of pizza. It didn't sound very appealing, but once I started eating I realized I was actually a bit hungry. I ate a third slice and then felt full, so I poured myself a big glass of water and drank it over the next 10-15 minutes. Once it was gone my intention was to stay up for prayer (another 10 minutes) but my son woke up hungry at that time and I fell asleep breastfeeding him! Astaghfirullah I didn't get to fajr until I woke up later that morning.
Anyway, long story short: Eat real food even though it seems weird so early in the morning. Drink more water than you want to. Pace yourself, though. I also took my multivitamin with suhoor in hopes that my son could still get those nutrients through my breastmilk.
I got through today okay, insha'Allah tomorrow will go wonderfully well for the both of us!
Thank you both for your tips :).
I ate suhoor yesterday, and today. I think yesterday's was a bit better on my body than today. "Doctored" oatmeal it is!
Ramadan Mubarak dear and inshaAllah it will be easy and great this year :)
being thirsty is not with lack of water only but also with salted food so be careful from such food at suhor.
Alhamdulillah! Irendi, yep definitely oatmeal - it will last in your stomach longer ;)
Nikki this is really great to see alhamdulillah I love Ramadhan hehe. I like having a big suhoor too... I had a bowl of cereal + two slices of toast + a lot of water and that was alright for me but I think I need to branch out a little lol!
@ wafa'- Thank you! I honestly didn't even think of that...I was just thinking "eat more than a bowl of cereal" since that is my usual breakfast, and hubby had ordered a pizza the night before so... Today I ate meatloaf, lol, so also salty. Hopefully tomorrow I'll find something more suitable for suhoor. :)
Yes definitely have more of a breakfast than normal .. like normally I'll eat some Eggo waffles or a little bit of oatmeal or something ... but during Ramadan I'll make eggs and potatoes, or omelets, or pancakes, or some sort of small sandwich....normally eating a good amount of bread too. And a banana. Plus I'll have a nice big cup of tea and some water. And lucky you, our Fajr time starts at a little before 4:30am. Argh.
Ramadan Mubarek, mashallah and may Allah make your fasting easy for you. I had such a difficult time fasting when I was breasfeeding, more so than pregnant, bc I get sooo thirsty when i nurse.
Post a Comment