1.) So Eid may fall on Sept. 11 depending on the sighting of the moon and such. There's been a bit of news coverage here about increased security measures on the part of Muslims since they anticipate some opposition to celebrating on this particular date.
This is just ridiculous. I don't know any American's who go out of their way on Sept. 11 to "remember" what happened. They go to work and school just like any other day. They may watch a short news special after getting home from work but that's it. That's it.
We can't celebrate Eid, because this day is forever "sacred." I don't want to downplay the lives lost, but there are lives lost every. single. day. and life goes on for the rest of us. In my non-Muslim family, I have actually been invited to two events on September 11.
One is a birthday party for my cousin who's turning 15. OMG! Celebrating on 9/11! What horrible people! Terrorists! Anti-American, blah di blah di blah!
Wait, no? It's okay? Ooohh. They're not Muslim. They can do whatever they want whenever they want (and wherever they want in regards to church building).
I was also invited to a bridal shower on that day. I'm not trying to point fingers at them for celebrating on this day. I think it's perfectly acceptable. What I'm trying to point out is, it's natural to plan your life how you see fit. If a wedding is coming up, a shower will be held on 9/11 without question. If it's someone's birthday, the day of their birth does not change due to 9/11. SO, if it's EID, it's going to be EID and will be celebrated as such regardless of any calendar date!
The double standards in this country are making me sick.
2) Totally and completely unrelated. I don't have much of a problem controlling my urges to eat during Ramadan, EXCEPT for when I'm baking and/or making a dessert! I generally make desserts with great anticipation of licking the brownie bowl, or eating the cake batter off the beaters, or eating like 10 cookies worth of cookie dough before actually baking any....
Now I make the batter. Put it in the pan. And place it in the oven. *sigh* I miss my raw desserts.
3 comments:
1) OH NOES! The Mozlems are celebrating on September 11th! That can only mean that they are all terrorist sympathizers!!1!!!!
Give me a break, please. All one has to do is Google it and see that, because of the lunar calendar, Eid HAPPENS to fall on that day. Next year it will be around September 1. Then August 20. And so on. It's a pretty simple pattern. We will not change the date of our holiday because of another occurence on the same day(with all due respect and condolences to the victims of the terrorist attacks, of course). The holiday of Eid al-Fitr has absolutely nothing to do with September 11. And just because it falls on the same day doesn't mean that we will forget the significance of the date. At least I won't; in fact, I will be sure to make extra du'a that day for the victims and their families, and for worldwide salaam.
This is all so frustrating isn't it. I kind of hope for everyone's sanity that Eid falls on the 12th instead.
I know what you mean about baking! I always eat more cookie dough than cookies and definitely look forward to that the entire time I'm mixing ingredients. Yesterday I was fasting and while playing outside with Layla I totally zoned out and ate a strawberry. Oops!
i've actually heard it's supposed to be the 9th or 10th since there's 31 days in august. but no matter where it falls they're going to make a big deal about it since it's close. just the the "ground zero mosque." and i have to say i never thought about that
Post a Comment