Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

Okay, I know many of my readers are not American, but for those of you who are, Happy Fourth of July!

I was festive as usual in a white maxi skirt, navy blue 3/4 sleeve t-shirt, navy blue underscarf, and red and white patterned shayla/hijab.

I've worn red, white, and blue on the fourth of July since I was little...and it's a hard habit to break.  :)

I took off the hijab at my grandma's house, only to find, that my cousin was wearing the same outfit as me.  She had on a white maxi skirt, a navy blue tank top, and a red and white patterned scarf around her neck.  Even our shoes were similar (gladiator sandals) which was just weird.  Fun, but weird.

My hometown (in which I no longer live) always hosts fireworks right behind my parents' house so we went down and watched them with the whole family.  I saw an old friend and he asked me what I was up to, I had a bag of popcorn in my hand so I replied "Eatin' popcorn, standing here, being American."  It was just one of the random things I say throughout my time in public, yet I kept thinking back to it.  I never really think about being American, like I think about being Muslim, or even like I think of being Italian.  It's just so "ordinary" to me, that I take it for granted. 

I really am proud to be an American... like all those lame songs say.  Huh.  Who knew?


------------------------
In other news, my FIL and SIL are now scheduled to arrive Thursday the 8th insha'Allah.  I'm excited but nervous all at the same time.  

4 comments:

Wafa said...

Happy Birthday America :)

And inshallah your SIL and FIL's visit will be fun and lots of enjoyment :)

Muslim&Proud said...

*cough cough* a little late but, happy forth of july too you to. i did nothing, kept around the house all day sleeping lol.

glad you had fun though

Rukhpar Mor said...

Happy-belated-fourth-of-july!!!!!!!
=)

Susanne said...

Sounds like a fun evening with your family! Have fun with the ILs.:)