I'm sick, but still fasting. My son has been sick since last Tuesday, so of course, just as he's getting over it and getting VERY active again, I catch it and get very very sluggish. Last night I doubted my ability to fast today but, mash'Allah it was fairly easy. I think the cold has diminished my appetite making me not very hungry anyway. Having a sore throat w/out any water isn't a lot of fun, though.
I had a WONDERFUL hijab experience today. I took my son to the doctor today (of course, now that he's better) and really struggled with whether or not to wear hijab. He's been seeing the same pediatrician since birth, so for about two years now. You go to the doctor so often with your infant that everyone at that office is very familiar with me and my family. His doctor is THE SWEETEST WOMAN EVER, so I don't know why I was scared of her reaction. I know she's very religious (Christian) so I guess maybe I thought she'd be kind of like my family and feel "betrayed" by my choice. Oh, my goodness...she just proved even more how sweet she is. I've had other doctors notice my hijab with their eyes then quickly avert their gaze and go back to business. Not Dr. Lily, God bless her, she just gushed over my beautiful scarf and how much she liked it and how I looked so pretty and... if it was appropriate to hug your child's pediatrician I may have hugged her right there, lol. It's SO nice to be reassured when taking this step. I like to wear hijab, and I know it is a command from Allah, but that doesn't mean I'm always secure with how I look in hijab. To have her not only treat me as she always has, but to even tell me that I looked pretty....Alhumdullilah, it made me want to wear hijab full time even more.
Also, in the waiting room this woman was talking to me and my son as though we had been friends for years. I noticed some others in the waiting room a little surprised by her openness with me, a "Muslim", but I was truly thankful for this random woman who choose to look beyond the scarf and see a human being/a mother. We talked about children, baggy pants, and our families. It's so nice to not be ignored. When wearing hijab being ignored is better than being harassed, but being accepted is absolutely wonderful.
7 comments:
Salam! thanks for stopping by!
:-)
Sometimes, I have people talk to me like I'm not even wearing the hijab. Just a normal conversation with lots of smiles and nods of the head! I absolutely love it!
But I also love the stares I get! lol But then I just smile, it confuses them :-)
Good on you for wearing the hijab today =)Btw, I know exactly what you mean. I still expect bad reactions from people so whenever someone is really sweet about it I am totally amazed and it makes me feel happy that Allah swt has blessed me to be around such nice people =)
Makes you realise that wearing hijab isn't as hard as you thought it would be!
YAY Happy experiences. Been reading a lot about those recently Thank God. Its a nice thing to see.
What an awesome experience. I'm so glad for you...sometimes you get encouragement from where you least expect it...and it spreads to others, because your story is encouraging ME. :-)
As you said, it is always great when someone approved of your right choices. It's indeed a beautiful experience and the woman in the waiting room is one who just an amazing person, not that the rest maybe anything less, but maybe people are scared sometimes .
Glad your son is fine now and inshaAllah you will be better soon:)
I remember last year, when I wore my hijab for the first time to school (it was my first day of sophomore year) and people that I was afraid would react not so nicely were actually really nice and acceptant about it. Looking back I don't know what I was scared of.
Post a Comment