Monday, August 3, 2009

Annoyed

Has anyone besides me done a search for "Islam" on any online site that sells books?

I'm sure I'm not the only one. I search for Islam and end up with a bunch of books written by a) westerners looking to make a buck by feeding the Islamaphobes just what they want to hear or b) "Islamic Extremists" turned Christian or atheist who are explaining why their religion is so wrong and an 'enemy to the west' (when they were never correctly practicing their religion in the first place, so probably aren't qualified to write a book about it).

To find a valid book on Islam written by an Imam or Sheik you have to first search through pages and pages of pure blasphemous filth.

The new trend seems to be books on the "endtimes." Everyone is soo obsessed with prophesying the end times and the signs are all there and blah di blah di blah. Yes, there will be a judgment day. BUT, if God wanted us to know when it was, He would have told us. We can watch for signs, we can read our books, but I don't think this is what God wants. I think God wants us to LIVE our lives. Accept death when it comes, but we must enjoy the time that God has given us. Our time on this earth is a gift and not one that we should wish away!

Just by reading book reviews on Amazon I have learned that:
- the Prophet Muhammad mandated a death sentence for all apostates of Islam
- Islam's awaited Messiah (Imam Al-Mahdi) is the anti-Christ mentioned in the Christian Bible
- Islamic Jihad = violence and terrorism
- Qur'an is a historical record written by humans from an Arab and tribal perspective
and of course...
- Islam oppresses women

Astaghfirullah for even repeating these lies!

Soooo, if I can get this much from just reading reviews, what do you think the people eating up these books believe about Islam?

Honestly, reading the reviews makes me sick. It makes me want to start a religious debate on the amazon site. People are MAKING MONEY off of BASHING ISLAM. They may not even truly believe everything they write...(I certainly hope they aren't that paranoid)...but they'll even sell out God to make a buck it seems.

Yes, the anti-christ will worship one God alone, pray 5 times a day, fast, give to charity...WAIT a minute, that sounds like what CHRIST did, wouldn't we be looking for different qualities in the ANTI-christ?

The Christian books written on Islam are, of course, incorrect. But at least sometimes the author's intentions are noble. (you know, save the Muslims! they need Jesus! etc.) They truly want to help us. BUT, some of them are not so innocent. Some of them think that by making Islam look bad and pointing out so-called 'contradictions' in the Qur'an, that somehow making one religion (islam) look bad makes the other (christianity) true.

I can't stand it. I've ranted long enough, I know. I'm just so disgusted at the naivity of people. What's worse, is they believe they're 'well read, and knowledgeable' about Islam.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My father is constantly telling me all these things about Islam. It's gotten to the point where I'm like "Look, until your buddies at Fox News can tell me the exact verse/exact hadith(in it's actual context mind you), I'm not going to believe anything that they say.

Too many times I've been tricked into getting books at the library because it will say something like "The truth about how women are treated in Islam" or something and I think "Finally", but then I start reading and it talks about how horrible women's lives are and I'm like "WTF? This isn't the truth, and it's not even new, everyone already thinks this." Anything for a dollar I suppose.

Queen said...

salam sis thank you for finding me. Sis i was just reading your previous post about breast feeding. My baby was just 2 months old when ramadhan started and she was just having breastmilk and no formula at all, at that time the fast was broken around about 6 ish cant quite remeber, but i was determined to fast as i though it would be more baraka for my self and child. Mashallah we both made the month and i felt that my child did not suffer, the body really is amazing! i did however try to eat as much as i possibly could and tried to use very little energy ( i was at my mums then ) so Inshallah I hope that you make the right choice, i also breast fed for the full two years weaning her off was heart beaking!

Unknown said...

Yeah, i know the feeling. book stores, libraries and online book stores are full of anti-islamic books. what makes me really sad is that other religions only use lies to make Islam look bad... my dad, only because he watches stuff on Discovery Channel, National Geographic and news, thinks that he knows everything about Islam, when, obviously, is not the case. I agree with Marisa. It's all about money.

AlabasterMuslim said...

Finally! Someone has ranted about it! The books your talking about make my blood boil. But they'll get theirs in the end...

Nikki said...

@Marisa-I know! All of my dad's information on Islam is from the news or church magazines...NOT reliable sources when it comes to Islam. Just today I was cringing in McDonalds (they have a big screen TV playing CNN or something) as they discussed the attempted terrorist thing in Australia. The headline was "Jihad Scare" or something similar. And of course they mentioned "Islamic Extremists" again and again. My father was sitting there with me and it puts me in such an awkward position to have to defend these terrorists but defend the religion at the same time. I can't totally blame the news for that, though, these terrorists are doing Islam no favors by smearing it's message of peace with pointless bloodshed.

@Safyiah- oh, yes. Everyone knows everything about Islam because they've watched a (western) documentary (with a hidden agenda). Or they watched a film at church that explained how to properly witness to the "Muslim next door." I love how Christian authors "prove" that Islam is wrong because a) they deny Christ b) they have no relationship with God and c)Muhammad was either satanic or seriously ill. These are NOT proofs. They aren't even true, lol. Muslims deny the divinity of Christ, but I truly believe we accept him as he intended to be accepted. Muslims have a direct relationship with God with no need for intermediaries, and Muhammad warned people about Satan, he wasn't working for him.

I read many of these books back when I hoped my husband would convert to Christianity. Even as a Christian I could see where their arguments were seriously lacking. My husband could tear all of the arguments apart.

Nikki said...

@Marisa-I meant CONDEMN the terrorists. Goodness, I am 100% AGAINST TERRORISM. Sorry for the slip of the fingers.

Jasmine said...

Don't let it infect you! Avoid getting in a rage: that's the affect these hate-mongers are looking for, the more they engage you in this crap, the more and more upset you will get - and lose the peace we are all aiming to achieve. All of this stuff is for Muslims to find and get upset by. Its bullying by publishers, writers and bookstores. Avoid the bait, maintain peace and search by author instead of title. A good author is Fazlur Rahman, "Diseases of the Heart" is a really beautiful book as well...erm..what else...can't think! But most of all sister, I would like to say that is there were no such thing as printing houses and internet we would all be living happy peaceful lives in a village somewhere, getting on without a problem. Print is propaganda, and it takes an incredibly strong mind to know the difference, Love, peace, smiles and good vibes to you Jasmine x

Anonymous said...

Although I agree the West is on a smear campaign against Muslims/Islam in general, let's not disrespect the women and men who ARE being victimized by terrorism by saying we would all be singing and happy if it weren't for the ignorant westerners, i.e. the thousands in the SWAT valley in Afghanistan being terrorized by fellow Muslims, women who can be beaten in Saudi Arabia for not dressing appropriately..

There are wrongs on both sides, and it is too bad the west is unable to decipher between these issues, because it puts Muslims on a constant defense, therefore unable to look at itself and work out the problems that ARE going on in SOME Muslim countries/communities.

I think we walk a thin line, and hearing racist idiots smear Islam in their own ignorance pisses me off, because we cannot look at reality, we can only feel compelled to defend.

This xenophobia from non Muslims around the world hurts Muslims the most, because we are unable to look at our real issues without feeling like we are being attacked or selling out to our own people. But yes, there are definitely some real issues going on.
Let's not blind ourselves in our defensive tactics and forget how much grief and suffering Muslims are causing other Muslims... Unfortunately this topic is tabboo to speak about, and it is too bad, because it merely causes the same extremism and hatred that we are trying to defend ourselves against when attacked by Orientalism....