Thursday, August 20, 2009

Child Sponsorship

I wish I had the money to sponsor all of them.


I sponsor one little girl in Nepal. But what about all of the other girls and boys waiting for a helping hand?

Right now I'm totally dependent upon hubby's money. If/when I get a job, though, insha'Allah I will donate more. I have so many clothes in my closet, yet I keep buying more.

Sometimes I realize how materialistic I can be. I have tons of movies to watch, books to read, CDs to listen to, clothes to wear...yet I still buy more.

I'm going to make a resolution, like a New Year's resolution...only in August. Maybe it can be my Ramadan resolution...although I want to carry it out for longer than a month!

Okay, my resolution is: At most, i will only buy myself one item a month. That's still a lot compared to others out there...but compared to my usual buying habits.....goodness this is going to be a struggle for me. I'm already debating myself in my head going "how about one clothing item as well as one other item?" Hopefully I can shut out these greedy thoughts and really follow through with this.

I'll need you to help w/accountability. You know I generally post when I buy something new. :)

6 comments:

Bahlool said...

Salam
Maybe consider to sponser a child in some muslimcountry in the future? I kinda feel that so many are sponsering african and asian countries, but that the muslims are beeing left behind somehow. Whenever i see on tv an advertizing for help to the poor in the world, they hardly ever mention poor muslims.

here in sweden the helporganisations got so much cash for the Tsunami victims that some companies went out and told people not to send anymore money. After the disaster of the earchquake in pakistan 2 years later, they hadnt enough money to help them for 3 years..

aynzan said...

Sort out things that you have not made use in the last two years and try to give it away to some charity organization..this way you will make someone who is less fortunate , a reason to smile! Ramadan greetings!

Anonymous said...

Ramadan Mubarak! And as a side note to this, please be careful where exactly you're supporting the children. As in, the organization. I have heard tell of some org's with such high overhead that the intended child receives only 20% of the money.
Hehe, and thanks for your comment!! I hate it when iPods are marketed that way.. ugh.

Nikki said...

@Bahlool - The sponsorship program I chose is adament about letting families choose their own religion. All too often it seems aid is only given when the family is open to being indoctrinated. The girl I sponsor is Hindi. The same program that I'm using for this child in Nepal sponsors children in Indonesia and Pakistan, as well. If I ever feel financially stable enough to take on another, I hope to sponsor a Muslim girl so that I can share hijabs with her and encouragement in living her faith.

Nikki said...

@ aynzan - That is a very good idea. Especially since my conversion I have so many clothes that don't seem modest enough. Yeah I can wear them around the house, but you only need so many, you know? Once I finally tell my family I will do a complete closet cleanse and hopefully help someone else out in the process.

@Lailaofcourse - I researched different organizations before making my decision. I chose Plan USA because they don't have a stance on religion and because they were given an A- rating for use of their funds. When I was Christian I sponsored through WorldVision. They like to help only those open to the Gospel message, it seems. They were given a B+ rating.

I know there's more efficient ways of giving charitably, but I really enjoy the relationship you gain through sponsorship.

ModestJustice said...

Bahlool- there are plenty of children in Africa and Asia who are muslim and are in need of help. Pakistan is not the only country with muslims ya know :)

Anywho, insha'Allah you can stick with one item a month! Since I only buy when I have the money (read: my parents actually spare a 5 dollars here and there) I usually only buy clothes before school and eid. Maybe here and there if I saved enough. But you should go for it! Donating all of the clothes you don't want to charity is also another way of helping out too, which is what I'm probably going to do with my not so modest clothes too hehe