Saturday, August 1, 2009

It's the Weirdest Thing


I have eczema on my hands. They are dry and itchy and just plain uncomfortable.

I don't expect you to care about that, though, lol, I'm just trying to lead in to my story.

Anyway, my hands were dry and itchy, and I'm here at my husbands apartment. I have a big black bag that I bring with me every weekend. It was actually my competition bag from high school dance team. Still has all my old team photo keychains hanging off of it. Anyway, this particular bag is the bag I packed for the hospital when I had my son. (or well, I started to pack it, but he came early, so...) ANYWAY, (i could apparently type one million different stories about this same bag) I had a bottle of lotion in the bag. I had it packed for the hospital. While at the hospital I used this lotion all day, everyday. My son was in the NICU, as I've mentioned before, and to get in the NICU you have to first wash your hands for 3 minutes. Only after witnessing you wash would the nurses let you in. And then, they'd have me change my son's diaper. And then I'd have to wash my hands again.

My hands were dry, nasty monstrosities because of all this excessive washing, thus, the overuse of the lotion.

I had not used this lotion since the hospital. But, my eczema felt dry and itchy, so I went to my old faithful bag. I put on my lotion thinking, well, nothing. But then I smelled it. I smelled it and I was back in the hospital. I was back in the hospital feeling one million different emotions: exhaustion, elation, depression, and the overwhelming need to protect. All this was bottled up in that lotion, zipped up in that bag, for almost 9 whole months.

I honestly feel overwhelmed right now. Like I'm going to cry. I'm so happy that my son's here sitting next to me kicking me in the side instead of dependent upon oxygen and a feeding tube. Mash'Allah he is the best thing that's ever happened to me and the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I love watching him grow and discover (today's discovery is his tongue).

I'm glad my hands are dry and itchy. I'm glad I'm chronically plagued with eczema. I'm glad I got this unexpected reminder just from smelling some lotion.

More than anything, I'm glad God chose me to be the mother of this amazing baby boy.

2 comments:

Skye said...

masha'allah sis,my mum suffers from eczema to,i think she uses sorbolene cream

Meems said...

Alhamdulillah 3ala salamtou...I am glad he is better. Sorry to hear you had to go through this.

I had the same hand problem...I was hospitalized again not long after giving birth to my daughter (she is now 6 mo.)...then, SHE was hospitalized again right after I finally got out from my second stay. Man, my hands were DEAD after all that hand washing...it didn't help that the soap at the hospitals was crap...and burned my hands even more. The skin was sooooo dry and brown. Not sure if it is eczema but it comes and goes...sometimes itchy but not always. I found relief with that Palmer's Cocoa Butter Massage Cream for Stretch Marks (the concentrated cream version that comes in a long tube, like 4.4 oz)...yeah, I know "for stretch marks?!" Hey, it was handy at the time and was the only thing that didn't burn my skin and it wasn't as messy as Vaseline (what other people recommended to me). I still keep it handy.