
I haven't seriously exercised since I was around 2 months pregnant. I've done the occasional dance aerobics DVD, but never on a routine basis. Just when I have time and feel like it.
Soooo, what made me think I could ride my bike 15 miles today? Really now, what?
My (extended) family is a bit unique. They really enjoy doing things together. Every summer they have a bike ride. I've only gone once before (it's mainly my third cousins...one of them is also my best friend, so that's why I hang with their crowd, lol). It was two summers ago. Out of all of the bikers I was the only one that wrecked. Sliced up my hand pretty bad and had over 9 more miles to ride before I had any chance to wash it out. Needless to say, the healing process was hindered by all of the dirt stuck in it.
Last summer I couldn't go (or chose not to) because I was around 5 months pregnant. Didn't feel that it'd be a great idea.
But this summer I was more than ready to get back on the road. I called my brother today from my husband's apartment asking if anything fun was happening back home. He informed me that the bike ride would be today. Hubby was taking care of new students anyway, so I quickly loaded up the baby and headed for home. We threw our bikes in the back of my brother's pick-up and headed to our mom's cousins house. Once there it was bike city. There were over 20 of us there, although with people dropping out and switching bikes and such I think the most ever riding at one time was 15. We left our cousins' with our goal being the Tastee Freeze about 8 miles away. (yes, we exercise and then eat ice cream) Some of my cousins opted to run this year (ewww, not my thing).
Anyway, right from the get go I was lagging. At one point I could only see two people ahead of me in the distance, one, a fourth grader, the other my age (my BFF Kathy). Kathy went straight but the fourth grader turned! I didn't know who to follow...I chose the fourth grader, lol. (If you knew how directionally challenged Kathy is, believe me, you'd do the same). Luckily I chose right and arrived at the Tastee Freeze shortly after the majority of the group. (Katy arrived later from a different direction, of course)
After enjoying our ice cream it was time to hit the road again for the return trip. I got left behind within the first 3 miles (out of 8). I refused to give up, though, and pushed on knowing they'd make fun of me when I got back so much later than them. I pushed on. And pushed on. And waited for death. And pushed on....
And got back to the claps and cheers of my cousins. How sweet. :/
Regardless of riding by myself for the majority of the trip, I was very proud and had a good time. Until now, that is. Now that I've been sitting around the house...my legs HURT SO BAD. Even sitting still hurts.
I am tiny, i'm not bragging, just stating the facts. 5'2", 100 lbs. To the naked eye I look fit as a fiddle....ha. ha. ha. I am so uncomfortable in my own body right now. My fun day that I was so looking forward to ends with me pledging to never walk again, lol.
Just wanted to share my day with you ladies. And if you're wondering, no, I did not wear hijab. None of them know about my conversion/reversion. I wore capris (loose, mid shin length) and an old t-shirt (also loose). My cousins made a big deal out of my capris asking 'wouldn't i be hot?' Well yeah, but I'd be hot in anything riding for 15 miles. They also made fun of how white my legs are. They are white because I have only worn pants this summer (except for days like today). They don't know this, though, and just think I'm strangely albino.
While riding I thought, how would this be in hijab? Today was niiice outside. Of course exercising so hard makes you hot, but there was a breeze and I think I could have survived in light longsleeves and pants. Hijab, though, I just can't imagine my hair being plastered against my head with sweat. I guess it's not a whole lot different than wearing a helmet or baseball cap. But I don't wear helmets or baseball caps, lol, so all I'm familiar with is the delightful breeze blowing through my hair. I'll miss it. How do you full time hijabis stay active, especially outdoors in the summer, in hijab?
I hope hubby and I can get a secluded home, or at least a secluded yard, so that i can still enjoy the sun on my skin and the wind in my hair. I like the idea of hijab and it's easy to implement when shopping, or at a museum, or in class, or teaching (my future profession). But outdoors on hot days? Like when you visit a state park for hiking and canoeing (LOVE IT), how do you cope?
3 comments:
I love reading your blog, but I was just wondering, why do you always mention your husbands apartment. Do you live there? If so, wouldn't it also be your apartment? You don't have to answer if you don't want to... I was just wondering!
As far as Ramadan goes, my sister in law breast fed all 3 of her kids for 2 years each, and did not fast durring her pregnancy through the 2 years of breast feeding.
I vaguely explained on a previous post that I don't like with hubby because a) my parents don't accept our Islamic marriage. if I were to move in there would be a huge fallout. it hurts to not live together, but at this point it's better to keep the peace. we're getting legally married next summer and then will actually live as a family
b) we have to put off the legal marriage until next summer (after graduation) because hubby could stand to lose his scholarships from KSA and I would lose my staff dependent child waiver. (my dad works at our university) I would also lose my health insurance.
So, in summary, we'd be in a real financial pothole if we were to get legally married prior to graduation, and my parents won't accept a purely religious marriage, especially an Islamic one. I live with my mom, dad, brother, sister, and son in the home that I've grown up in. Hubby has an apartment by himself in a town 25 minutes away (where we go to college). Me and our son stay there on weekends. It's really not ideal, but we're hanging in there.
About the wearing hijab and sweating, etc... well I don't wear one but I always wonder the same thing. I would miss feeling the breeze in my hair... but on the other hand, if you believe it's required then it's more important to be at peace with yourself. It's probably something you just get used to.
Post a Comment