Thursday, August 6, 2009

Picture Post

Here are some things I see in my day to day life:

My wonderful son, Mash'Allah!


PICTURE DELETED FOR PRIVACY

The prayer rug my in-laws sent me from KSA,
My closet complete with tons of hijabs.
This thing on the wall that I can't read...all I know is it says Alhumdulillah
My drawer with two mishmars from KSA, and hand-me down prayer garment from my SIL,
My beautiful jalabiya that my MIL bought for me
a close up of the detail.
I love the jalabiya but don't have anywhere to wear it. I asked my husband where people wear these things and he said no where really. What? Then why do they sell them? He eventually said that he thinks women wear them to weddings. Well, I don't think I'll be attending any Arab or Muslim weddings soon so it will stay in the closet. I try it on sometimes just for fun, though.

6 comments:

ellen557 said...

Awwww, mishmars! I have one like the one on the right. It feels so nice to see someone writing about them & calling them that - when I was going on about them no one got what I meant.
And er. I guess they'd wear it to weddings but I think a few women actually wear it in the house when they have guests and such :|

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mashaallah, beautiful post. :) ANd I love your blog!

Be sure and pop by & leave a note and please follow! I will return the favor, Inshaallah.

-Laila
www.randomweavings.blogspot.com

AlabasterMuslim said...

WOW aside from the baby (who is the most adorable baby ever mashallah! even if i only saw the back of him lol) i see those same things in my house. The jilbab I have in my closet is similar to yours, except blue and there is no where i can wear it.

Nikki said...

@Ellen-yes, mishmars, lol. I've yet to actually use one yet, though. I'm terrible at wrapping them. My SIL lives in them basically! (at least when she was pregnant and her clothes stopped fitting well, lol, she just wore them over her pj's)

We find out this week if my in-laws get to come visit (they're waiting for a visa). If they come I'm sure I'll be using the mishmar to cover some of my less modest tops. :/ I know I don't have to cover completely in front of my father-in-law. I'm still not going to show him cleavage, though!

@Laila - love you're blog! i can relate a lot to your friend Banana's saga

@Alabaster - Thank you! I wish I could show the front of him, but I'm wary of posting my baby on a public site. it's too bad there's no where to wear them...they're so pretty!

My life my story said...

your son is soo cute masha´allah!

Stacy K. said...

Oh and your wall hanging is Surah al Fatiha. My Arabic is pretty bad but I could pick out the words :)