Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Nothing Says 'Happy Birthday!' Like a Case of Mastitis

I'm 22 today.

Hubby's cooking my favorite food for lunch. Then at 4 we're going to my family's house for cake and presents. After that we're all playing miniature golf.

IF, that is, I'm still well enough to stand.

I have this uncanny ability to ruin any holiday or vacation by getting ill. Seriously ill, at times.

Spring Break, '05, sinus infection
Christmas '05, strep throat complete w/full body rash.
Birthday '06, strep throat.
New Year's, 06, strep throat
Vacation '07, sinus infection and cracked tailbone.
Christmas '07, UTI complete w/trip to the emergency room.
Vacation '08, constant puking due to pregnancy.
Birthday '09, Mastitis.

Mastitis. The word used to mean nothing to me. Then it was just something I read about in pregnancy books. Now, though, now it's as familiar to me as bread is to butter.

My first case of Mastitis was -bad-. Didn't catch it early enough. Ended up going to the doctor, getting a shot and passing out. They then drew my blood to check how bad the infection was. Ha. Let's just say, they were impressed.

Second case, sitting in class, realize my breast is tender. I think "Why is this familiar?" Put off going to the doctor until the next morning. By the time I finally get my prescription drugs, my temperature is 104 degrees.

Third case. By this point I knew what to expect. I woke up with tenderness and a red spot. Called the doctor and got him to prescribe me something. Even working this quickly, though, I still got up to 102 and was in bed for the entire day.
j
Fourth case. TODAY! I said to my husband, 'my boob kinda hurts.' Jokingly he said "oh, no, are you pregnant?" Then it dawned on me. "Mastitis." I jumped out of bed, ripped my shirt off, and looked in the mirror. Red spot. Tender when touched.

Greeat. I called the Dr. and left a message. That was close to two hours ago, though, and still, no reply. Thanks for the concern, Doc.

I other news, I had a great time w/hubby and son on our little vacation. It's nice to just endulge sometimes.

7 comments:

Susanne said...

Oh no! My neighbor was like that. She got mastitis like clockwork..ugh!

Glad you had a nice trip though. Happy birthday!

AlabasterMuslim said...

so, are you pregnant? you should get a pregnancy test just encase! And why does it make your boobs hurt? i'm googling this...lol...
And congrats on a not breaking your holiday ruining streak. :D

AlabasterMuslim said...

OHHH ok i get it noww
MASTITIS
Mastitis means that the breast is inflamed, and there is swelling, redness, tenderness and pain. There may be an infection, so it is wise to consult your health-care provider to determine whether or not an antibiotic is necessary. A breast infection can become a breast abscess that requires surgical draining, but this can almost always be prevented by treating mastitis promptly.

Signs of mastitis include:

* Part or all of the breast is intensely painful, hot, tender, red, and swollen. Some mothers can pinpoint a definite area of inflammation, while at other times the entire breast is tender.

* You feel tired, run down, achy, have chills or think you have the flu. A breastfeeding mother who thinks she has the flu probably has mastitis. Mothers with mastitis will sometimes experience these flu-like symptoms, even before they get a fever or notice breast tenderness.

* You have chills or feel feverish, or your temperature is 101F or higher. These symptoms suggest that you have an infection.

* You are feeling progressively worse, your breasts are growing more tender, and your fever is becoming more pronounced. With simple engorgement, a plugged duct, or mastitis without infection, you gradually feel better instead of worse.

* Recent events have set you up for mastitis: cracked or bleeding nipples, stress or getting run down, missed feedings or longer intervals between feedings.

PREVENTING MASTITIS


The best way to prevent mastitis is to avoid the situations that set you up for it.

* Relieve engorgement promptly. Milk that doesn't flow gets thicker and clogs the ducts, which is a set-up for mastitis.
* Breastfeed frequently. Don't restrict the length of feedings.
* If you feel your breasts getting full, encourage your baby to nurse. You don't have to wait for baby to tell you he's hungry.
* Avoid sleeping on your stomach or so far over on your side that your breasts are compressed against the mattress.
* Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest (both of mind and body).

Anonymous said...

Whoa. That's so weird about you getting sick like that on holidays.
I'm happy to hear you had fun with your hubby & son on your vacation. :)

Meems said...

DUDE!! Salamtek! Hope you feel better soon! Happy Birthday!!...or not...but, seriously, wish you the best recovery...

Yeah, I can relate to recurring strep throat and relate to your Vacation '08--that was how I found out. Lol, I was going to ask if the sinus infection of Vacation '07 was in any way related to your breaking your bum but, lol, yeahhhh, I am not going to... ;)

Stacy K. said...

Nikki I'm so sorry for not keeping up with you on here!

Try to not go more than 2-3 hrs without nursing until the mastitis clears up.

once its better make sure he empties each side completely when nursing. If he doesn't finish the milk on one side this can make the environment perfect for infection to develop. You might also want to get hooked up with a LaLeche league group in your area.

Well, happy birthday, Ramadan mubarak, and I hope you get better soon!

Nikki said...

@ EVERYONE - Thanks for the birthday wishes! Whatever it was, mastitis or just a plugged duct it went away on its own w/out meds Alhumdullilah.

@Mimi - I know you didn't ask, but...the vacation was up in the Smoky Mts. the altitude caused my sinus infection (drainage led to infection...). And my bum...that was from rafting on the river. It got a bit turbulent and I fell in and cracked my bum on a boulder. (it may have been a rock...but boulder sounds more impressive). It sounds like I was in a raging river, but it was only like two feet deep!