Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ramadan

I don't think I'll be fasting this Ramadan because I'm still breastfeeding. I asked on a Muslim forum on parenting.com about this and got very mixed reviews. Some women noticed their milk supply drying within 3 days, others fasted the whole month without any problems. My son eats solids (at most) once a day so he is still very dependent upon me for most all of his nutritional needs. Scholars agree that a woman can make up her fasts after weaning (but before the next Ramadan). This is fine if I only breastfeed a year, but what if I chose to breastfeed the full two years? I would not be able to make it up before the next Ramadan, and I'd miss the next one as well...? I'm not too worried about this just yet, honestly I'm comfortable with stopping at or around one year. (hubby on the other hand thinks since the Qur'an says 2 years, I should shoot for two. I tried to explain that scholars say this is beneficial and recommended, but really two years was mentioned because that's the cut off point. Alas, he is stubborn. Once he starts lactating then we can have this discussion, you think? ;)

Anyway, just my thoughts on Ramadan. I feel like a slacker since this is my first one as a Muslim and I am not participating in full. I will still focus on my relationship with God, though, read the Qur'an, and make a more conscious effort to be charitable. I will also fast a day here or there. We'll see how it goes before determining how often.

Has anybody else not fasted while breastfeeding?

5 comments:

Jasmine said...

I support your decision to not fast whilst breastfeeding, it makes sense if baby is dependent on you for food to not interfere with it(!)
breastfeeding up till age two? That sounds like a very long time - I have not seen this before Peace,love, blessings Jasmine x

Anonymous said...

i fasted last year while pregnant and will hopefully inshallah be able to fast this year while nursing. if my milk supply drops i will stop, but i believe you have to make the attempt. a girlfriend of mine says hers dropped so she supplemented with formula for that month...not something i want to do tho...

Muslim&Proud said...

well i don't have any kids but heres my thoughts. i would try to fast like every other day or every 3 because i also fear that my milk will dry up. i don't want to feed my kids formula either--unless i absolutely have to, like i've gone dry. the 2 yrs is a long time but islamicly i've been told (you should look more into it to be sure) that the child shouldn't be cut off before 2 yrs. but if the child WANTS to stop eating breast milk at like a yr that's fine. i actually no someone who only breastfeed 2 months because her daughter preferred formula. by the time they're that old they can eat so many other things that i don't think most kids want to eat that long.

AlabasterMuslim said...

Yeah, I agree with your decision. I might be pregnant so I'm trying to decide what to do, too.

Stacy K. said...

Oh I have heard that you don't have to make up fasts that you missed for being pregnant or breastfeeding, but you might want to look up different opinions of scholars to be sure.

I wouldn't take the chance this year though. Your reward will be for being a good mother to your son :)