
Hubby's parents have been trying to come meet their grandson. They were denied a VISA back in May, when they were going to come meet our son and help their daughter with the birth of her first. They had to wait until this week to get another appointment...and they were denied again.
My dad, of course, is freaking out. If they can't come here...he realizes we'll have to go there. He also sees this as a 'see, if you go they won't let you come back!' type of deal. He's wrong of course, lol. The problem isn't KSA letting them out...it's the U.S. that won't let them in.
They talk to our son on Skype...but I really wish they could meet him. Hubby cannot leave the country until after we've filed all the immigration stuff because his visa expires the minute he leaves. This means we're stuck in the U.S. for probably a year and a half. That means that unless they do eventually get a visa, they won't meet their grandson until he's over 2. :( Even after hubby's cleared to leave, we can't go to KSA until our marriage is approved which could take...forever w/out the right connections. So, we'll probably be meeting in Bahrain or Dubai over a year and a half from now. Sounds so bleak. I want my son to feel that he's a part of both mommy's and daddy's families.
8 comments:
ok i'm sure this is the most obvious thing that i just haven't figured out yet, what is KSA? Inshallah everything works out sister!
KSA = (kingdom of)Saudi Arabia
Sorry! Sometimes we don't realize that what's familiar in our own lives is foreign to others. :)
Aww, thats really sad to hear...could you not meet in a centre place that everyone can get to easily with little restriction?
I know a friend who flies to spain from the UK to meet a friend who gets the boat to spain from Morrocco so that they both save money and time: maybe there is an equivalent in your geography?
I hope you find a way to meet soon inshallah
Peace and blessings be upon you
Jasmine ;0)
:( M's father was going to come to us but it was quite expensive... maybe 9000 - 10000 SR at the time. If you can get to Bahrain, go. It's not far from Qatif (maybe 20 - 30 mins drive) and you'll have a chance to "try before you buy" in terms of going to Saudi to live.
I don't know where you are in America but perhaps they could try getting a visa for Canada? Or mention you & your son when they next apply if they haven't done so already?
I know not seeing them sounds bleak... but it's the reality for women like you & me. Hopefully we don't have to put up with it for much longer!
I will send good visa and travel thoughts your way!
I am sure the Skype talking helps keep your parents and child in touch. It is just sad they don't get to give him that grandparents spoiling thing in person. However, when they do finally see him you are probably going to have one spoiled two year old on your hands :)
Something similar happened to my brother in law's mom. She was denied a visa to the US -- two or three times already. Did they give your ILs any reasons? Hope it works out for your son to meet his other grandparents eventually.
@ Jasmine - we're both open to meeting elsewhere, but hubby can't leave the country at all because his Visa is expired except for 'duration of stay.' Meaning, as long as he stays on U.S. soil, it's valid, but once he steps a toe into Canada, it's worthless. :/ That's why things are just on hold.
@Ellen - as you can read in my reply to Jasmine above, we're really pretty landlocked for awhile. once we can leave, though, we'll for sure meet in Bahrain or somewhere if our marriage still isn't approved. And moving to Saudi Arabia...to be honest, even before 'trying it out' I'm pretty darn sure it's not for me. I'm too independent to need a driver and an escort just to go grocery shopping. I'd LOVE to visit for a month or two...but I just know I'd start feeling a bit trapped.
@ Felicia - thanks for the travel thoughts! They spoil him already, sending clothes and toys over every time they get the opportunity. Once they actually meet him...oh dear, he's gonna think the world revolves around him. (which, in our family...it does, lol)
@ Susanne - all I got was something about them not keeping old passports? I'm no expert...but i don't think anyone stores all their old passports just for fun...my husband seems to think it's an odd request. My FIL likes to vacation in Iran...we suspect that the U.S. isn't too crazy about this and is using the passport thing as an excuse. They've mentioned meeting their grandson and still, nothing. Heartless I tell you, lol.
@ Jasmine - we're both open to meeting elsewhere, but hubby can't leave the country at all because his Visa is expired except for 'duration of stay.' Meaning, as long as he stays on U.S. soil, it's valid, but once he steps a toe into Canada, it's worthless. :/ That's why things are just on hold.
@Ellen - as you can read in my reply to Jasmine above, we're really pretty landlocked for awhile. once we can leave, though, we'll for sure meet in Bahrain or somewhere if our marriage still isn't approved. And moving to Saudi Arabia...to be honest, even before 'trying it out' I'm pretty darn sure it's not for me. I'm too independent to need a driver and an escort just to go grocery shopping. I'd LOVE to visit for a month or two...but I just know I'd start feeling a bit trapped.
@ Felicia - thanks for the travel thoughts! They spoil him already, sending clothes and toys over every time they get the opportunity. Once they actually meet him...oh dear, he's gonna think the world revolves around him. (which, in our family...it does, lol)
@ Susanne - all I got was something about them not keeping old passports? I'm no expert...but i don't think anyone stores all their old passports just for fun...my husband seems to think it's an odd request. My FIL likes to vacation in Iran...we suspect that the U.S. isn't too crazy about this and is using the passport thing as an excuse. They've mentioned meeting their grandson and still, nothing. Heartless I tell you, lol.
Post a Comment